Menu
Mazee
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

installation

Hi

I signed up to Virgin Media in December and was given an installation date of 11th January. So far, so good.

On 11th January - NO ONE SHOWED UP,NO CALLS RECEIVED, i had to get a day off from my job and I had already cancelled my Sky broadband, any called them, and been promised that it needs 6-8 weeks, nothing to do biside they offered £30 as compensation,7 weeks later i got a call to arrange the big day, so it scheduled on 10 of Marsh, 4 day before installation was due! -  I received a text confirming that the installation would be on 10 and asking for for adult to be home, so far so good, got another day off and called them same day morning to make sure every thing is ok the confirmed again that every thing ok and the great moment will happen!!!!!!!!!!at 17:00 got a call from the installer advised that they wont be able to install this day due same reason of first time i thank the caller for letting me know and called the CS, an unprofessional agent advised me that i should ignore that call and keep waiting, i had nothing to do so i kept waiting, No one came as well so i called again but very RUDE agent advised me that i have to wait another 6/8 weeks.

Can someone please tell me what is going on?? I signed up to Virgin to(1) save money - which is not happening as I get dongle costs me £32 a month  (2) have faster broadband - as Virgin are the only provider who can (allegedly) offer this in my area.

To add insult to injury, I have received a marketing letter(hahahahahaha) from Virgin Media today, addressed to "The Householder", which says that my road is "confirmed as fully connected to our ultra fast optical fiber network". That is an outrageous claim as far as I am concerned - it clearly is not, otherwise the construction work would not be required.

I am considering raising this with Ofcom, as this is misleading marketing.

I look forward to receiving a reply which moves this forward - and something with a little more substance than "I am sorry to hear about the problems you are having" please.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: installation

dont think ofcom will do much on an individual case but that does not stop you contacting them

as to the delay only the install team know the reason but guesswork would be that whilst the street is ready for VM theres a problem with the underground duct - blocked in some way is the usual reason so they cannot pull the cable from the cabinet to your property - if thats the case the 6 to 8 weeks is a standard time period as they seem to need council permission to start digging holes in the road/pavement to clear any blockage - you need to contact the pre installation team for updates 

Tony
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The problem will no doubt be a blocked duct that requires excavation. These are lengthy issues requiring local authority permits & liason with other services as to where their infrastructure is located. These can sometimes run into months to resolve, so it is always good advice to overlap your services with your previous provider.

Communication is one area where VM could do with improvement I will agree. OFCOM will only log your complaint against their figures, not that they will take any action against the leafleting, as there is no way VM marketing will know a pipe is blocked in your road & new customers cable cant be pulled.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Mazee
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

thank you Tony but what do you think do i have to wait or just find another provider, i know it is my decision but whats you opinion

0 Kudos
Mazee
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

is that an official reply?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Mazee wrote:

is that an official reply?

the replies you have had are not official just opinion of 2 other users - VM will get to the thread in a week or so and add comment - what can you do - as you say your decision - firm updates from VM are not going to happen in the short term - they are waiting for other input - it might happen in the new time scale you have been given - it might not - as i said above all you can do is push the pre installation team for info - how good that info might be is anybodies guess

Tony
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mazee,

Welcome to the Forums and thanks for your post. I can only apologise that you've had a less than perfect journey since joining so far. Smiley Sad

It's not very often this happens however when it does happen, we try and get things moving as quickly as we can. 

Even though progress may seem slow to you, at this end there would have been multiple plans put in place. We'll need to create a plan for costs and submit this. After this has been approved, we then need to get the relevant permits from local councils. If these fail, we need to go back to the drawing board and try again. On top of this there may be issues with Wayleave.

Checking in to your account it looks as though initially, construction work was needed, which has since been completed. Now though we've discovered we need to replace the cable leading up to your property meaning more work is required. 

I understand it's frustrating however we're not able to give an exact date on when you'll be installed. We can only offer an estimate time which is 6 - 8 weeks. As work progresses we'll be in a better position to give you an update on this. Feel free to come back to us or speak to the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111. 

Apologies again,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos