Menu
pentirah5
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

hub 3 installation

I am running xp - can't afford to update at present. I have never had wifi before.  I can't get past section 4 in my setting-up booklet because I don't have a wireless manager icon to click.   Set up wizard demands key with 13 characters. There are only 12 in official password. Am I on the wrong track? Advice please (suitable for a dummy)

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: hub 3 installation

Are you using a wireless adapter connected to your XP machine via a USB port, or is the wireless built into your laptop or desktop computer ?

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You need to activate the Hub 3.0 before it'll work. If your old modem is still working then the Hub 3.0 hasn't been activated. Once the Hub 3.0 is activated you should only need to plug your computer in using the same Ethernet cable as is currently connected to your modem. It then should automatically work.

I appreciate that if there was any issues you'd then lose a working internet connection, but you should be OK.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK, if you are connecting using an ethernet cable as you say then there is no need to go into any of the wireless settings that the manual describes.  The wireless manager is irrelevant unless you are conning via wireless.

You shouldn't need any additional configuration.  If your ethernet is connected to your desktop PC and the other end is connected to one of the ports in your new SuperHub 3 it should just work.

Just to double check - You have already activated your replacement router via the automated telephone number on the packaging ?

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No, it shouldn't have messed it up.

Just try calling now to activate and then try again - Hopefully it should work once that has been done.

-

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi pentirah5,

Welcome to our community, thanks for joining Smiley Happy

I tested your connection prior to replying and noted that the Hub has now been activated. However it was still connected to the legacy speeds but I spoke to my colleague, Karen_A, and she's put the free speed upgrade through for you and your Hub should now get speeds up to 70mb. 
Please note this is a free speed upgrade and required no changes to your account in regards to charges etc.

Please let us know if you have any queries about Hub 3, we shall be happy to help Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 15 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Fantastic! - I'm glad to hear you got everything working.

-

All Replies
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Are you using a wireless adapter connected to your XP machine via a USB port, or is the wireless built into your laptop or desktop computer ?

-

pentirah5
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks a lot backtothefuture.  Nice of you to respond.  When I wanted an answer suitable for dummies I wasn't joking! Virgin M did the set up years ago. I have always used their modem and not wifi. Connected by ethernet cable. I have a desktop. There is no built in wifi stuff in xp as far as I can tell--no wireless manager icon to click, as mentioned in part 4 of vm set-up manual..  I only  ordered the hub 3.0. because vm said  the old set-up would not work soon!  To get internet access I am using the old modem - . The instructions say I can connect hub 3 to computer by ethernet cable as a temporary measure but it doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You need to activate the Hub 3.0 before it'll work. If your old modem is still working then the Hub 3.0 hasn't been activated. Once the Hub 3.0 is activated you should only need to plug your computer in using the same Ethernet cable as is currently connected to your modem. It then should automatically work.

I appreciate that if there was any issues you'd then lose a working internet connection, but you should be OK.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK, if you are connecting using an ethernet cable as you say then there is no need to go into any of the wireless settings that the manual describes.  The wireless manager is irrelevant unless you are conning via wireless.

You shouldn't need any additional configuration.  If your ethernet is connected to your desktop PC and the other end is connected to one of the ports in your new SuperHub 3 it should just work.

Just to double check - You have already activated your replacement router via the automated telephone number on the packaging ?

-

pentirah5
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

The ethernet connection doesn't work.   A few days ago I got a text message from VM say something like " we have sent the signal to you computer you can now go ahead with the installation" (or words to that effect.)  I took that to mean the initial phone call was unnecessary.  How would you have understood that? I started proceeding, everything went OK till I came to part 4 (no wireless manager icon).  I must admit, because I am elderly, I often have great difficulty listening to some of the engineers on the phone, especially when they have a non-English accent! - that was why I was pleased with the opportunity to skip that bit! 

0 Kudos
pentirah5
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.  Backtothefuture, just suggested that. In retrospect you are probably right, but a few days back I got a text from VM saying"We've sent the signal to your home so you can set up you kit."  I took that to mean the initial phone call was not necessary. It seems I was mistaken.  If I have done things the wrong way round, will it have messed up the system?

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No, it shouldn't have messed it up.

Just try calling now to activate and then try again - Hopefully it should work once that has been done.

-

pentirah5
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks.  With a bit of luck I won't be back!

0 Kudos
stuart345
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Xp should have been upgraded to service pak 2 or 3 to be effective in near future since it is hwre you get WPA/WPA2 AND THE TKIP connectivity. All else fails pick up a wifi adapter which should ensure your computer is bot the problem and recommendation is a tp link as a usb plug in to keep things simple as reasonable.