Menu
effingheck
Just joined
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

hub 3.0 - Cannot turn off DHCP or change LAN IP??

My home network includes a Windows domain and a server which acts as my DHCP server. My old superhub 2.0 was configured as per below: LAN IP: 192.168.0.254 DHCP turned off. My server has an IP of 192.168.0.1. Now that I've been given this new Superhub 3.0 I'm unable to assign it the .254 address so it's now conflicting with my server IP and I'm not able to stop DHCP on the superhub either - meaning my clients are getting the upstream DNS servers (194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100) which is no good to me as I need my domain controller to be the DNS server. There is nowhere in the configuration of the new superhub which allows me to change the LAN IP or disable dhcp. I don't really want to have to go out and buy a wireless AP and change the hub to modem mode as my old hub had this functionality and I don't understand why the new one doesn't. Is there anything Virgin can do about this? Quite frankly I'd rather have my old superhub back... Cheers

Tags (3)
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 3.0 - Cannot turn off DHCP or change LAN IP??

effingheck wrote:
Quite frankly I'd rather have my old superhub back... Cheers

Do that.

The reason based on what someone said about the BT hubs that when LAN DHCP was disabled it disabled it for the public WiFi which VM Oso wants to do and they can't work out a way so you can disable it for your LAN.

Or they think its a pointless option and....its just not getting any better...

0 Kudos
ronprowse
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I too have been faced with this problem, how can someone sign off the software when it clearly has not got anywhere near the same functionality as the old routers

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The option to turn off DHCP will come in the next update however you still will not be able to change the Hubs IP.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
fitzharrys
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: hub 3.0 - Cannot turn off DHCP or change LAN IP??

I have managed to effectively disable DHCP on my hub 3 by setting the number of CPS on the DHCP settings page to 0. Then I can run my own DHCP server on my network and have the ability to configure how I want.

I havent found any way to change the network from 192.168.0.x though.

0 Kudos
fitzharrys
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That should be "Number of CPEs".

0 Kudos
mashton
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

the DHCP server on the hub 3 is broken. it wont keep my ubiquiti unifi AP in the 192.168.0.x network, it keeps failing back to it's non dhcp 192.168.1.20 address.

I cant even work around that by shifting my network to 192.168.1.x since the stupid hub dhcp server cant do that.

This stinks.

iwantmylanback
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just to add my experience ,
I am new with Virgin 1 day only , you can guess my horror when I discovered that HUB 3 does not allow to change LAN address, ...I mean I have more then 22 networks items around my flat and office ,what they are thinking ??? No way that I am going to change all static Ip on my house,or add a firewall to correct this nonsense , ... a router without lan configuration is good just to my grandad, called support and after having a nervous breakdown they decided to send me HUB 2 which they told me is LAN configurable , Horrible , horrible service, It took me 4 hours at the phone to get this rubbish useless box replaced. I regret now to have joined vivid 200.The sad that I thought Virgin were professionals ... what a big mistake I done, I will make sure everyone I know is aware of this nonsense so that at least they will choose someone that actually care about user needs and is not trying to re-inventing wheels when there is no need.Not a good start between me and Virgin, very hungry sad and frustrated.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

iwantmylanback wrote:
 ... what a big mistake I done, I will make sure everyone I know is aware of this nonsense so that at least they will choose someone that actually care about user needs and is not trying to re-inventing wheels when there is no need.

Modem mode is the wheel that keeps on spinning.

mickofsuffolk
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

On Hub 3.0 I've been through every menu. I'm pretty sure that there's no way to change the router's internal IP address. (Maybe there's a hidden menu.)

I've worked with about 80 different access routers going back 20 years, and this is the first one I've come across that does not allow the address to be changed. I suggest it's because Virgin Support get hassle when people change it without understanding the consequences, and the company is trying to optimise its workload/profit ratio. A bloody nuisance for IT-savvy users with home networks that are more complex than average. As I'm on a free trial with Virgin, I'll just switch to another provider. Don't see why I should have to reconfigure my home network for Virgin's sake.