Menu
Marko7
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

fibre cable connection

ive got a hole drilled in the wall to the outside bow already, but the connector is on the end of it when delivered so too big for the hole!

how do i take the connection off so the cable goes through wall and then reapply the connection to plug in the router?!

this is for broadband only fibre

thanks!!
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: fibre cable connection

Why are you drilling holes to the outside ?

The connection should be indoors, as only the VM engineers should be working at the boxes outside ?

0 Kudos
Marko7
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

there was a connection once but i ripped all the wites out as had sky. the cable theyve sent hopefully attaches to the box on the wall???
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If you have a box attached to the wall, it should have a screw thread underneath it. Thats where the cable goes to.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Marko7 wrote:
there was a connection once but i ripped all the wites out as had sky. the cable theyve sent hopefully attaches to the box on the wall???

Did you rip out any boxes. usually there is also a box on the inside to which all the wires are attached. You should not be connecting directly to the exterior box.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

stevedh2 wrote:

Marko7 wrote:

Did you rip out any boxes. usually there is also a box on the inside to which all the wires are attached. You should not be connecting directly to the exterior box.

Good point steve.

I was assuming the box OP was referring too was an internal wall box. If its an EXTERNAL one there's no hope of attaching it.

0 Kudos
Marko7
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

there is still the ethernet box inside where i ripped the wire from, but the cable they sent seems to be able to go from the point outside (it has like a connection box behind the plastic casing) and plug straight into the router. looks like no need for the ethernet cable in the box.

ive not had fibre before so a little unsure on this
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Maybe you have a strange installation setup from the early days of cable, maybe some photos would help.

Usually you have a box outside and a couple of wires going from that box to a box inside the house.

the box inside the house usually has one or two coax screw terminals underneath to which you'd connect the wire to the virgin hub and tv.

If this isn't how its setup it looks like you'll probably need to call an engineer to set it up properly.

whats odd is that presumably some point in the past the property had catv and broadband so would have had some kind of coax cable coming into the house and that should have been terminated somewhere.

0 Kudos
Marko7
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

its 3 weeks to wait for an engineer!

gonna try tomorrow at the outside box before i go drilling the bricks.

will let you know how i get on, cheers fellas
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Marko7 wrote:
its 3 weeks to wait for an engineer!

gonna try tomorrow at the outside box before i go drilling the bricks.

will let you know how i get on, cheers fellas

Umm  step away from the outside box.

Its not your property. At best messing with it is contrary to your TOS. At worst its criminal damage. At REALLY worst if you bypass the isolator needed to connect to outside avoid a potential voltage difference, well look it up. At even worse than blowing yourself up, you'll incurr chargeable work to put it right. Which is silly money.

0 Kudos