Menu
VMAN1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

cabling installation mess

2017-02-11 13.37.42.jpg2017-02-11 13.37.46.jpg2017-02-11 13.37.52.jpg2017-02-11 13.39.36.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: cabling installation mess

its sort of tidy but raises questions - why have they entered so high up the external wall - some external photos might explain that - to me the photos make little sense - why have they not entered at ground level

if you were there did you approve/agree to what they did

Tony
0 Kudos
VMAN1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have no idea why so high up - I asked them to avoid the alarm areas at the base of the front door and this is what they did. Yes, I agreed, but had no idea it was going to look like this. furthermore, it's clear that this isn't the best position for the final boxes nor the best way to do the cabling - all of which I took on their advice, having not seen one of their installations anywhere and being ignorant of what was needed.

0 Kudos
VMAN1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

sorry I failed to add that I did agree, but hadn't had alternatives explained and was never told why it needed to come in above the door, and even if that were acceptable, why is the cable wound inside and outside of the door and not held to the wall between the door and corner there - why are three boxes left on the floor in the corridor with no prior explanation? they whole thing would be so easy to rectify. Am amazed that they won't even consider that.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

post an external photo 

like i say its sort of neat but really not acceptable - well not imo - why a box inside the door and then one on the skirting is a mystery - one is certainly not needed - the other 2 'boxes' are the hub and its power supply

they have used the easy route to fix the internal vertical cable using staples into the door casing - to hide it in the corner may have caused damage to the plaster - i guess you could do that if you wanted

but if i read it correctly the external cable is at ground level and that is then tacked up the external door casing to enter 6' up the wall to then come back down - total stupidity if thats the case

i take it this is recent - you have 14 days to cancel if you are not happy - it would normally take VM about that to get to the thread at the moment - will flag it and hopefully get someone to have a look and have a word in the area managers ear

again i ask post an external photo

@ModTeam - can someone have a read and follow this up with area manager if you agree its not acceptable 

Tony
0 Kudos
VMAN1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I haven't got pic of outside at the moment. I disconnected immediately. But am surprised, nay appalled, at the lack of interest Virgin showed in addressing this simple problem. The system works and it would have been super easy for them to send an engineer with apologies to fix it.. no, I had to spend hours with very sweet customer service people who were unable to get any area managers to return their calls and we ended up agreeing diconnection was the only option. Unreal.. and I shall certainly spread the word so that other newbies can see what to avoid. Thanks for your interesting comments tho.

VMAN1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

only this one of outsideonly this one of outside

0 Kudos
VMAN1
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I should also add that it's super recent - this 'installation' took place on Sat 11 Feb.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

ahhhh ok if you have cancelled - your call into the future then if you choose VM again - you are wiser and a different tech may well look at it differently - i would certainly hope so

just seen the extra photo - i am somewhat confused - how is the black cable routed - is this a below ground entry to a basement flat - even so if it is surely the external cable should have entered at the base of the door

all seems most odd

Tony
0 Kudos
VMAN1
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I won't be using VM again ever, unless their customer service levels improve enormously. I've never heard of a company which happily allows new installations to be left faulty with no apologies. I intend to post all this on social media and other consumer sites as a warning against using VM. am very disappointed and still await news on how and when they intend to send someone round simply to remove this mess.