Menu
powysm
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

cable repull advice

Hi,

I am after some advice on what to do next... I 'll explain please bare with me:

I have a cable exposed and running across my drive - its is due to be buried and tarmaced over as i complete the drive.

Three weeks ago i had an engineer out as i was experiencing intermittent drop out on my broadband, he told me that the cable needed to be repullled all the way back to the cabinet as after his tests there were many faults on the cable. An appointment was booked in, however it was subsequently cancelled (without me being informed - which is a different issue altogether) as the faults had been rectified at the cabinet, according to VM.

I have asked for reassurances that the cable is now fault free and have been told that i can recieve a written statement to this effect on the basis that the cabinet work resolved the issue. This will take 40 days to arrive, further delaying laying the drive. However I am not overly comfortable that having been told specifically by an engineer that the cable needed a re-pull it now will not be and so therefore will be buried as is. In addition i am not 100% sure that my original issues have been resolved, i have had a couple of minor issues since (which could potentially be attributed elsewhere).  My concern is that i bury this cable only to find out subsequently that the cable does in fact need a repull and therefore virgin need to dig up a channel in a new drive. Although the statement may cover the costs of repair it won't make my new drive look any better after a dig up.

Any advice appreciated.

Mathew

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: cable repull advice

I wouldn't hold your breath for a written statement, I doubt you'll ever see that.

One possible solution might be to bury a run of piping before the drive is resurfaced so that it could be used for a new cable pull should it prove necessary later.  Make sure the pipe emerges over-ground at both ends and also install a couple of lengths of nylon rope inside the pipe along its full length and out each end to allow the engineer to attach the cable and pull it through.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
powysm
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the response - i have welsh water here at the moment and they have given me an off cut of pipe that will get me to the front of the house. Which is about as far as i van go without pulling up aco channels and paving slabs.

Could theoretically (should the need arise) the VM cable be run around the outside wall, including around a corner to make it the rest of the way to the junction box/where it comes into house??

Thanks again

Mathew

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes, my cable runs along an outside wall but you need to stand over them to make sure they do it neatly.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi powysm

Thanks for getting in touch about the re-pull and welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I appreciate you getting in touch with us about the cabling lay out, especially as this is due to have a driveway laid over it.

Ultimately if we cannot access the cabling in the future and this needs re-pulled or replaced then we would route this in an alternative agreed way for you.

I appreciate @Dave_cq has suggested the option to supply trunking for the cable to be fed through for future access and this is a sound idea. If at any point the trunking you have laid collapses or impairs the cable from doing it's job for you again we would revisit and relocate or relay cabling to an agreed solution for you.

Please keep us posted if you need anything else.

Take care.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos