Menu
Jenni2dance
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wrong IP address, new hub but still no t'interweb

Hi, I'm asking here on behalf of my mum.
All of a sudden last week, she lost internet (phone and TV all fine with Virgin).  Basically, she has been told that the IP address is wrong (should be 192 something).  Numerous calls to Virgin have had her trying all of the normal fixes such as resets, new coaxial cable and the like.

She had a new HUB 3.0 sent but this has not changed anything.  The hub flashes green and doesn't stop.

She has an engineer booked for Thursday, but is desperate to know if she can try anything else.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wrong IP address, new hub but still no t'interweb

hiya @Jenni2dance welcome to the virginmedia community forum, not much the forum / community can do if the green light is flashing meaning the hub cant sync with the network.. as for the IP addressing the 192.x is for internal devices such as PCs/laptops etc.. they should get a valid IP address.. but just no internet connectivity.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Jenni2dance
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul

Thank you for the welcome and the advice.  Please excuse my ignorance, I am shockingly dumb when it comes to tech .... so an IP address is just an address so the Hub knows where to connect to?  That address is generated by the PC.

If that is correct, it's the PC that needs a good kicking and not the Hub? ;-)  We can get a computer whizz to put that right, then the Hub will recognise the IP address as a correct one (starting 192) and all will be fine and dandy?  Right now, it's not 192 but I can't remember what my mum said it was, sorry.

Is that all right?  Thank you

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

hiya @Jenni2dance the IP addressing is all dealt with by the hub, (this isn't technically true but not going to get into static IP addressing) the IP address is used so if multi people are using the hub it knows where to send the traffic to and from. could look at -> http://www.dummies.com/computers/pcs/what-is-an-ip-address/ if the PCs are not getting a a valid ip address starting 192.x could be issue with hub, configuration of the PC etc etc..

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Jenni2dance
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Paul (and thanks for not explaining static IP address - you know me so well already!).  So, basically we've got to wait for the engineer to come?  There's no way either my mum or I can play with configurations and I guess it's that as the Hub is a brand new one.

Thanks anyway, appreciate the help.

Rubbish technophobe daughter

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Silly question, did you phone in to activate the new Hub 3?

0 Kudos
Jenni2dance
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, not a silly question at all. I did have a read through lots of this forum before posting and that was one of the first things I asked my mum. She gave a very definite yes thankfully!

0 Kudos