Menu
luckysho7
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Worried about installation day tomorrow

I have been worried about something i hope someone can please reassure me everything would go alright.  My installation day is tomorrow and i want to be prepared as much as possible to discuss with the engineer tomorrow so nothing goes wrong.  Some issues I am worried about is:

1.Drilling hole(s) around house and wall, my worst fear is if the person doing so on the day doesnt do a good job as some simple search and googling i have found numerous complaints and pictures of very badly done jobs

2.I have slabs around my house with no grass close to all 4 walls of my house.  Is this a huge issue?  The slabs are quite large as well if you see from below i have uploaded images to give you an idea what i mean.

Am really worried about any sort of damage and mostly got worried from searching other people that had issues on the installation date regarding damage around house/walls/bad job

If you guys can think of anything that i should know or should ask about would be great please.

back gardenback gardenleft side of houseleft side of housefront of housefront of houseright side of houseright side of housei believe this is from my BT line?i believe this is from my BT line?

0 Kudos
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Worried about installation day tomorrow

Vm have their own coax for internet tv and phone . They will not dig slabs up, they will find a way to get that one wire from the footpath to your house.

One hole needs to be drilled ..but if you have 2 tv boxes 2 holes etc.

drill from inside out ONLY not outside to in....

Keep an eye on the installer when he does it and YOU tell him where the cables should be clipped c what he says. 

you must have sides where the cable can run??

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ive an equivalent install so Ill share the magic formula for coping with block paving etc...

Chat,Tea and Biscuits.

When they turned up to my property there was "No way guvnor" it was possible to get the line form the street drop to the house as our whole front and drive is brick.

Some chat, an offer of a brew and biccies and it became possible, even went off to get some mortar to fill in where they had to drill a gate post. Treat the installers nice, they'll treat you nice.

0 Kudos
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

agreed..but

I would not trust Vm to mess me my paving which for eg cost £3000 to lay, not worth the risk. JUST imo.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No neither would I. Which is why they were convinced to find an alternate route for the cable

0 Kudos
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

quick question, Im not being my usual joking self,,    question

they used my old cable that was laid in like 1996 under my block paving,,,it laid there 4 years,,blocked over again in 2001.

this same cable is giving me 300mbps now...what the ________ how? anyone?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Because its high grade coax.

You are thinking of a cable carrying one signal. Look at the downstream screen of your hub, each of the different channels, at different frequencies, carries some of your bandwidth. More channels, bigger bandwidth, same cable.

Currently VM use  Docsis 3.0

DOCSIS 3.0 gains bandwidth by bonding together 6MHz channels, each of which can carry about 38Mbps. A 24-channel modem could deliver 912Mbps downstream, and 32 channels could boost that to 1.2Gbps

Assuming they move to Docsis 3.1, your looking at 10Gbps sown and 1-2 up. On the same cable.

Full Duplex Docsis 3.1 does 10Gbps both ways but that's a way off for VM yet.

evodocsis.png

So the answer to your question is,

"New Docsis standards have been implemented VM's side, allowing more bandwidth on the same cable."

chutwutt
Superfast
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

its crazy how one cable thats 21 years old before did so little and now can do so much. 

good.

better than them digging it up again everytime there is an upgrade of speed.

0 Kudos