Menu
kk94
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Will installation require digging up my garden?

I am currently waiting for the installation and set-up of my broardband and whilst at work today missed a VM engineer who came to assess the property (i had no prior warning of this), my father who was at the house at the time essentially turned him away after he was told that the garden would need to be dug up, and considering he has only just finished block paving the garden he is understandably not going to allow VM to interfere with it.

Basically I want to know is it even going to be possible for me to recieve broardband from VM if they cannot lay a cable under the garden?

Also if not, is broardband possible with any other suppliers that wouldnt require digging, for example from BT via the phone line? (Although I would like to avoid line rental charges if I can).

I should add that the block paving encircles the grass in the garden it doesnt cover the whole area, if that helps, which it probaby doesnt.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Will installation require digging up my garden?

kk94 wrote:
I am currently waiting for the installation and set-up of my broardband and whilst at work today missed a VM engineer who came to assess the property (i had no prior warning of this), my father who was at the house at the time essentially turned him away after he was told that the garden would need to be dug up, and considering he has only just finished block paving the garden he is understandably not going to allow VM to interfere with it.

Basically I want to know is it even going to be possible for me to recieve broardband from VM if they cannot lay a cable under the garden?

Also if not, is broardband possible with any other suppliers that wouldnt require digging, for example from BT via the phone line? (Although I would like to avoid line rental charges if I can).

I should add that the block paving encircles the grass in the garden it doesnt cover the whole area, if that helps, which it probaby doesnt.

Depends. They need a route from kerbside to the external wall of the property. It also need to be in a position where its not going to get damaged. Some protection from the elements is good but not essential.  In my case the cable comes up the center of a double sided fence and under the drive to the property, so no disturbing of the blocked area at the front was necessary.  One line of brick was lifted (by me), cable run from fence to property and voila.

Obviously I had to re-instate the brick paving across the drive.

So if its do-able the engineers assessment will tell you.

0 Kudos
kk94
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have arranged for the regional installation manager to come and assess the possibilities for installation, I am willing to remove a small number of blocks to allow for the cable to be laid but the major issue is the footings of the garden wall, which is 1 foot deep of solid concrete.

Hopefully it is possible for the VM engineers to dig beneath or drill through the concrete in order to lay the cable but I wont know that until tomorrow.

Thanks for the information.
0 Kudos
squig007
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi how did this end up as I'm in a similar position ?
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

wow this is an old thread.

Where I live we were wired up in pre virgin NTL days.

Here the path goes from the road to the house inside a little green pipe which in quite a few places where threre was a drive, just lies ontop of the ground along the border. In our case it was just buried in our flowerbed.

No idea if they would do that sort of thing today, but if you can find a path from the road to a wall of your house where the cable would be safe.. maybe tacked to the side of a wall, they may be able to do something like that..

0 Kudos