Menu
KathS
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

WiFi & VPN keep disconnecting

I'm having the same problem as everyone else on this subject which began when the Hub 3 was installed when the old one packed up.  Virgin said we had to install it ourselves because the connections were the same.  Connecting the wires was OK, but we didn't find it easy to set up as my computer is upstairs and the hub is downstairs so the part of the setup where you have to synchronise something on the hub and you've also to do something on the computer at the same time.  We'd already tried the easier ways and we didn't think they'd worked as the light didn't look as we expected.  We found it probably more difficult to disconnect the old one and install the new one because the sockets are behind the TV and stand and it's too heavy for us to move as we both have a disability with chronic back and hip pain.  Also, I'm 75 and my husband is 83 next month.

When the WiFi and VPN started disconnecting on both my PC and iPad we sent for an engineer and explained that we might not have set up the hub correctly.  He had a look at it but said it looked OK.  Since then it's continued to happen.  WiFi and VPN are set to start automatically but I always have to start it manually on my PC every time.  It does start automatically on my iPad but disconnects regularly.

Can I rectify this easily myself or should I ask for another engineer to have a look at it?  I'm not really computer savvy.  I just know how to work Word, Publisher, Access and Excel.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi & VPN keep disconnecting

Hey KathS,

I'm sorry to hear of the struggles with your wifi & VPN connections lately.

I've run some tests on the hub as a precaution, everything looks good and the hub is reporting a steady connection, so all appears well at that end. It does sound like an issue with wireless interference possibly, the quickest and easiest way to rule this out would normally be to connect a cable between the hub and computer. I appreciate this may not be possible to do with the computer being upstairs.

We have a help article, Getting the best WiFi signal which I'd recommend you read through and try some of the steps. A channel change should hopefully improve things.

Let us know how you get on.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Highlighted
KathS
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi & VPN keep disconnecting

Hi Kev

Thanks for running tests on the hub and suggestions what to try. At least it's good to know that the hub is working perfectly as I'm still having problems printing from my iPad and printing was no problem before. I'll certainly have a look at what you've suggested and give it a try. When you say "a change of channel", do you mean change the socket to be used at the back of the Hub? I don't understand much computer jargon! I just hope I can understand "Getting the best wifi signal". I'll let you know when I've read the article and tried some suggestions.

I bought one of those 'things' that you plug into the power which is supposed to enhance the wifi connection but I haven't set it up yet. When we got the new hub, I thought I wouldn't need it so put it away. Do you think that will help?

By the way, just before we got the new hub, the transformer connecting my printer to the power packed up and was replaced with a new one. The printer works well from my PC but not my iPad. Should I have done something to get it to work with the iPad?  I can print emails by forwarding to my printer's email address but printing anything else is hopeless. I've used the Printer Pro app ever since I got the iPad and it never failed, but now when I try to print a paragraph or a page from any website, what appears on the clipboard is the login page so I log in again and go through the necessary steps to get to the page I want to print.  It will sometimes print OK up to a point.  The layout has changed so I've to spend quit a bit of time getting the layout back to how it should be; the font has changed from 12pt to sometimes as much as 18pt; and odd sentences change to bold.

I'm so sorry for adding this extra problem but between them both, plus not fully understanding instructions in computer jargon, they're all sending me round the bend!!

0 Kudos