Menu
Anneliese
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

What a joke!

So about 7-8 weeks ago I was convinced by a lovely Virgin saleswoman to leave Sky after about 17 years, it sounded like a good deal so I cancelled with Sky and waited for my install which was first booked for the 26th of last month.

Install day came, I'd taken the day off work at a cost of about £100, and the engineer told me the pre-install with the cable outside hadn't been done so I would need to re-book. I rang sky again and put my cancellation date back with them and Virgin re-booked me for today.

(Can you tell what's coming?) Oh yes, even though I rang them on Wednesday this week with my concerns that the outside bit hadn't been done yet (and was assured it would all be done today) they came and said they couldn't do it. So another day off work for no reason at all.

Even though there were 2 vans worth of workmen doing stuff with cable, and ALL of my neighbours have virgin, there's apparently something somewhere that means I have to wait another 6-8 weeks to get mine installed (and then no doubt I'd have to take a third day off work.) The workman's manager has my number and I have been waiting 90 minutes for a call to explain as they all just drove off and no one actually knocked on my door to say there was a problem. The only reason I know its not happening is cos the first workman rang me on his personal phone this morning to see if I was in so when I rang him later on to see what was happening he informed me they had all left cos it couldn't be done. 

Just not good enough, I have rang sky to look at my options if I stay with them.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: What a joke!

If they are telling you 6 to 8 weeks then there is blocked ducting somewhere in the street which is preventing them pulling a cable to your property. Councils are notoriously slow in issuing the required permits for paths &/or roads to be dug to remedy this. Once this is completed a cable can be pulled & then you will get a firm install date. It is always recommended that you overlap services with your old provider when moving to VM owing to them using a separate network.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Anneliese
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, at least now I know what the issue is as they still haven't called me to explain. My issue is I have waited for several weeks already for my install and today is the first time they even tried to pull the cable, they should have spotted this issue weeks ago and I'd be halfway to getting it sorted by now, instead I'm at the back of the queue for the second time.
When they cocked up the first time with the (lack of) pre-install they should have rushed to resolve it for me, not just made me book a new date and wait weeks again as if I was only just joining. Now I'm guessing when they can eventually get it unblocked I will then again have to wait weeks for another "firm" install date, then take another day off work in the hope that this time it might actually happen this time. 

re: a crossover in dates I was just told by Virgin and Sky when they would take over the services I had no choice to opt for a crossover. I've spoken to sky today and they have offered me a good deal to get me back but obviously they want a 12 month contract so I have told them I will think about it but the total lack of customer care from virgin (on hold for ages then got an indian call centre who didn't seem that bothered and just said to cancel if I wanted to) isn't really convincing me to stick with them. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

There is no need for any kind of “crossover” unless you are porting you telephone number to VM, & this is only applicable to the phone & not Broadband. They are totally separate networks & will work alongside each other which BT line provided services cannot. I know of several people running VM alongside another Broadband provider on their BT line.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos