Menu
JnJ
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

We're new to Virgin - and this forum makes very depressing reading!

We've moved to a flat in a house cabled for Virgin and where our predecessors had Virgin broadband etc. We naively thought we should stick to our previous BT based phone/broadband suppliers who talked of a seamless move. We then found we had to wait over a month for Openreach to come and when they did the engineer said "the BT wiring is obsolete, don't say I said this but go with Virgin, they can connect you immediately". So our previous supplier released us and we signed up for the Virgin £29 12 month Player deal. Again we've had to wait but we're meant to be receiving the equipment this Friday and apparently we're expected to install it ourselves. Questions: Presumably telephone handset(s) aren't supplied. Will ordinary BT phone(s) do? And how do they connect - are they connected by wires or wirelessly to the broadband? If the former, will connecting cables be provided? If not, what's needed?And when will our telephone number be allocated?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: We're new to Virgin - and this forum makes very depressing reading!

You should receive a Quickstart kit if you have no engineers visit booked.

Depending on the services you have ordered it will contain a HUB3 (for broadband) and a TiVo (if you have ordered a TV package)

It should be this simple

Connect the supplied cable to the socket on the wall

Attach the splitter (supplied) if you have TiVo

Connect HUB/TiVo to the cable

Switch them on

Phone the installation number....

Good to go..

Heres a video.

You landline handset will connect to a separate telephone socket (which you say you have) If you want extensions for the phones, I would go for a couple of cheap DECT handsets, rather than getting VM to string wires all round the premises....

All Replies
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I'm sure you won't be disappointed.  I got connected a few weeks back and have been very impressed.

Now, in answer to your questions...

1)  No, as with any telephone provider you have to provide your own handsets.  Any modern telephone that will work on the BT network will also work with Virgin Media.  I just unplugged my BT cordless phone from the BT socket and connected to the Virgin Media socket.

2)  When Virgin Media is installed they will install a standard phone socket (just like the BT one, but with the Virgin Media logo).

3)  If you are keeping your telephone number this will need to be requested when you signed up to Virgin Media.  Assuming your BT account is still active (and not pending cancellation) then this will be ported over normally on the day of installation.

Hope this helps.  If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
JnJ
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for your response. 1) and 2) I also assume I won't be installing any phone sockets so when do we see an engineer? Actually I see that there is an unmarked phone socket immediately above the Virgin (NTL actually) inlet box. But if I want another phone elsewhere in the flat - kitchen or bedroom for example, does it have to be wired or can I connect a phone wirelessly to the broadband? 3) Sadly not possible I believe because we're far away from the area of the previous exchange. Is that right?
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

1) and 2) - When the engineer comes you will be able to specify where the phone socket goes.  They would run the cabling either outside your property or inside to where you want the socket to be.  This would be if you have a manned engineer visit.  Have you placed your order already ?

3)  Yes, you are right.  I had (wrongly) assumed you were in the same area.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry just re-read your original post.  It sounds as though you have gone for a self-install which means they will post the equipment to you and you connect it yourself.  This means that you will be expected to use the existing Virgin Media phone socket (which could be anywhere in your house).  The broadband works completely separate from your phone line, so if you want to use a phone elsewhere you would need to run a regular telephone extension cable from the phone socket to your desired location.

-

0 Kudos
JnJ
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes we have placed our order and we have an account number. They said they are sending a self install kit on Friday and I had the impression that we had to do everything ourselves. Nothing about an engineer's visit. As I mentioned, our predecessors were Virgin customers so in theory it's just a matter of reconnecting I suppose.

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it should just be a case of connecting the new equipment to the existing sockets/connections.

-

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You should receive a Quickstart kit if you have no engineers visit booked.

Depending on the services you have ordered it will contain a HUB3 (for broadband) and a TiVo (if you have ordered a TV package)

It should be this simple

Connect the supplied cable to the socket on the wall

Attach the splitter (supplied) if you have TiVo

Connect HUB/TiVo to the cable

Switch them on

Phone the installation number....

Good to go..

Heres a video.

You landline handset will connect to a separate telephone socket (which you say you have) If you want extensions for the phones, I would go for a couple of cheap DECT handsets, rather than getting VM to string wires all round the premises....