Menu
Highlighted
Matteluca16
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wall socket

Hi everyone , i just receive my new broadband kit and while i’m Following the steps I found out that we have a BT wall socket and i’m Wondering if there is any adapter around or the only solution is call an engineer to change the wall socket, thank you very much for your help in advance
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wall socket

BT wall socket for what - the phone - is that all you have - if so you need more than a tech - you need the cable installed 

Tony
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

BT wall socket for what - the phone - is that all you have - if so you need more than a tech - you need the cable installed 

Tony
0 Kudos
Matteluca16
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No is for phone and broadband but in the same socket
0 Kudos
Tudor
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

BT wall sockets provide an ADSL connection that support broadband and telephone ONLY OVER the BT infrastructure. This is not cable broadband and VM do not use any of the BT infrastructure. 

To get VM broadband and telephone you need a installed Siamese cable (figure of 8) which is a thick coax cable and a thin four core telephone cable. This is terminated outside of your premises in what is called an omni box. From this box a thick coax cable goes to a modem/router (Hub3) inside your house, and a telephone cable to a box where your phone plugs in. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VM and BT are different systems - BT and the like come in via the phone socket via their wires

VM uses non of that for either phone or BB - if they have let you order a quick install pack then VM must have been in the house/flat before but the internal stuff could have been removed

start with what you have - there should be an external box at ground level - usually on the external wall facing the road - that should have a cable connected to in going underground back to the street cab

if you have that and you should then you are looking for VM internal boxes - the BB will have a screwed connector to connect the hub to - phone if it was installed in the original package and it may not have been looks like any normal phone socket - but its not BT

so what actually exists 

Tony
0 Kudos
dnpark38
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Tudor wrote:

To get VM broadband and telephone you need a installed Siamese cable (figure of 8) which is a thick coax cable and a thin four core telephone cable. This is terminated outside of your premises in what is called an omni box. From this box a thick coax cable goes to a modem/router (Hub3) inside your house, and a telephone cable to a box where your phone plugs in. 

I understand the special exterior black VM coax/phone cable but not what you say inside, is it a separate coax and separate phone cable? 

( If separate are they  standard types?)

0 Kudos
Tudor
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the two cables inside your house are separate. The telephone one is standard phone cabling, although VM will never reuse BT cabling. The coax cable is proprietary and must be installed by VM. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
dnpark38
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Tudor wrote:

Yes, the two cables inside your house are separate. The telephone one is standard phone cabling, although VM will never reuse BT cabling. The coax cable is proprietary and must be installed by VM. 

So they have two types of coax?  One the double outside and a single inside both to WF100?

I'm expecting the VM master (first) socket to have my present extensions which are in the present Open Reach master to be taken and put into the VM will the installer do it or leave it to me as OR did?

0 Kudos