Menu
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

WAN IP Changed Today

Having always preached that VM's WAN IP's were very very sticky, mine changed for the first time today.  Connection was broken at 12.30pm and came back about 20 minutes later and lo and behold my WAN IP had changed from a 86.*.*.* to a 82.*.*.*

I wonder what that was all about?  I don't mind apart from the fact that my new IP has me living in Lewisham when I'm in Epsom.  I just hope it doesn't have a dodgy history.   They could have given me a more exclusive false location such as Buckingham Palace.      Smiley LOL

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: WAN IP Changed Today

It just got more intriguing.  Looking at my Operation Configuration my Maximum Downstream Traffic Rate has been lowered from 80.5mbps to 77mbps.

What is going on?

Electron
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yup IP's do change 12/01/17 I had a IP change and I seem to be on another gateway looking are the MAC still Cisco.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Well it seems I have to thank someone at VM.  Since my WAN IP changed, my BQM shows absolutely no sign of the the horrendous mountain of latency that used to build up between 6pm and midnight which I assumed was down to over-utilisation.  Fingers crossed it stays that way.  I must remember to do some speed tests this evening to double check.     Smiley Happy

Electron
0 Kudos
chriscdotcodot
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I too had the same as you. I was really annoyed about 6months back that my IP changed. I had to update a lot of redirections and dns records. I was cursing like a good-un in the office. I got home and thought "odd, this hasn't slowed down" and when the previous night it dropped to 15mb or so it stayed at around 180mb all evening. It ran like that for a few months and all was good.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

chriscdotcodot wrote:

I too had the same as you. I was really annoyed about 6months back that my IP changed. I had to update a lot of redirections and dns records. I was cursing like a good-un in the office. I got home and thought "odd, this hasn't slowed down" and when the previous night it dropped to 15mb or so it stayed at around 180mb all evening. It ran like that for a few months and all was good.

Hi Chris, well it does seem that VM really are doing something about over-utilisation.  It's been a long time coming.

Regards,

Electron
0 Kudos