Menu
corvus2606
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Vivid200 slow and dropping out every night

I have been experiencing slow connectivity(as low as 6Mb/s) and dropouts over the last few weeks.  I am unable to provide logs currently as I'm not at home, however over the last few nights at around 2am, my internet connection drops out completely and does not come back up without a reboot of the router.  When I am trying to access my home network while working night shift, this is incredibly frustrating.

When running a test via the service status page, it always reports a problem detected.

I have called customer service and been told that there is cabling work going on, and they have reduced my speed due to high demand, but research indicates this is a default answer, and it has not improved in the timeframe they have said it would.  Not to mention that our local cab is directly across the road, and I've not seen a van near it in weeks.

I will post logs and power levels when I am able.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid200 slow and dropping out every night

Suggest you setup a TBB monitor when you get a chance.

It will monitor your line 24x7 and let you see the status of your incoming signal.

www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

0 Kudos
corvus2606
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hey corvus2606,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy apologies for the slow speeds you're experiencing, I know this can be frustrating.

I've had a quick look at things our end and it does appear there are some issues at peak times. Are you speeds always slow, or just slowing down during peak times? Our engineers are currently working on an issue, under reference F004967122 with a review date of 8th February. This is upgrade work to improve things at peak times, we'll have more information on the next review date.

In the mean time I'm keen to rule out any other factors. Could you check whether speeds are slow off-peak? If they are could you pop your hub into modem mode and test with a single device connected via ethernet please? This will help to determine where the problem lies if you are suffering poor speeds off-peak.

Get back to us once you've had a chance to test and we'll take it from there.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
corvus2606
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for looking into this for me Kev. I have tested with modem mode already to rule out problems on my own network with multiple different patch leads and from 2 different computers, there is no notable difference. Speeds are fluctuating fairly considerably and off peak we see between 10-100Mb/s, more often than not it is towards the 30Mb/s end of the spectrum. upload speeds seem unaffected.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi corvus2606, 

Thanks for getting in touch to let us know about your issues with your connection being slow and dropping out every night. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested things from here and I noticed that your downstream power levels are on the lower side of things, I would like to arrange for an engineer to investigate things further for you.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking, please respond to me there and I'll get this all sorted for you.

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
corvus2606
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

logies for not replying sooner.Re: Vivid200 slow and dropping out every night

Hi Adam. Apologies for not replying sooner.

The engineer attended on Friday and checked over my equipment and confirmed that the power levels look OK.  He said that there is no problem at my end and that the issues are caused by the ongoing incident at the Newport exchange.

I guess at this point the only option is to wait for the estimated fix date of February 8 and see if it improves.

I'm quite disappointed given what Virgin charges, that they allow their network to get in to this state, and allow it to remain so for months, in my work, for an incident with this much impact, we would have paid out hundreds of thousands of pounds in service credits to our clients, yet Virgin continue on charging the same monthly fee for a considerably reduced service.  Not to mention failing to acknowledge the ongoing incident in their service status page, essentially lying to their clients!

0 Kudos