Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6 (128 Views)

Virgin router auto updates randomly, how do i stop it?

I can't see a setting in the modem settings.

Maybe I can ban an IP range or something? Does anyone know where I could find that information? It's **bleep**ed me over a hand full of times now and I really can't be **bleep** with that happening again.

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6 (112 Views)

Re: Virgin router auto updates randomly, how do i stop it?

lexbi wrote:

I can't see a setting in the modem settings.

Maybe I can ban an IP range or something? Does anyone know where I could find that information? It's **bleep**ed me over a hand full of times now and I really can't be **bleep** with that happening again.

You can't, thats why there isn't an option, you don't get a say in the firmware status of VM's devices, are you sure its actually updating and not just randomly restarting, because i don't think a firmware update has been pushed in a while, random restarts are a different issue and they will probably advise a factory reset of the device using the pinhole on the unit

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 6 (76 Views)

Hi Shane,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Normally what happens is the internet appears to go down.

I then try manually restart it, but, the up/down icon is yellow for the next 10/20mins, the internet will remain inaccessible until that's finished, I presume this means that it's sending/receiving data.

That's a real shame about there not being an option, they should really let users decide for themselves if they want to opt-in for that.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6 (58 Views)

Hi lexbi,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to read you are having an issue with your broadband connection. I know how frustrating this can be and would like to help further.

Looking at your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine with no time-outs reported since the router has been online.

Before you have to restart the router, do any of the lights change at all?

Does this only happen on wireless devices or can it be on wired also?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 6 (50 Views)

Hi Samantha,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I think (though not 100% sure) the up/down arrows icon went orange before I restarted the modem. Then after restarting, they remained orange for the next 10/15mins.

My current Session Time   8day 23h:00m:08s

So my internet went down just before this if you can investigate around that time?

I noticed straight away on a wired device as it severed my connection to a server.

Wireless definitely wasn't working either.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6 (30 Views)

Hey there lexbi,

Thanks for the additional info Smiley Happy

Really sorry about this, it must be inconvenient. From what you've described I think it's best if we arrange for an engineer to call around to give everything a good once over.

I'll drop you a PM (purple envelope, top right) to arrange an appointment.

Speak with you again soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos