Menu
ricky26
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin fibre not available for me but is available for both neighbours

Hi,

I've just bought a relatively new flat (built 2005) and the VM site says that fibre isn't available for the address but both adjacent neighbouring buildings have it marked as available. The phone rep was pretty rude and slowly explained to me that the road needed to be cabled by Virgin (evidently already done) and that there was no way for me to have their cable service (they also tried to immediately pawn me off to other providers). Is there anything I can do here, or do Virgin just really not want my service? I know at least two of the other residents would be interested.

(From my limited technical understanding, I guess there's no cabling from the road to the premises, which doesn't seem like a big job. I'm also very close to a 'green cabinet' but don't really want to drop down to BT's average service.)

Thanks!

Ricky

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin firbre not available for me but is available for both neighbours

Depends totally on the situation.

The cable drop to the property likely isn't the issue- its internal distribution. May well be the buildings you refer to have had telecom's cabinets fitted internally with ducting to units (easy install) and yours hasn't (difficult install). Or not. Could be another random reason.

You could TRY to get then to send a "spotter" , which is a tech who will look at the possibility of an install when a property is not on their DB. Used to be fairly easy but they seem to be thin on the ground these days.

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Forum staff are off now till Monday, and it could take them a few days to pick up your query.

if your'e living in a block of flats that are more than 2 levels high, they might be reluctant to install at your address. 

0 Kudos
ricky26
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Kippies, thanks for the tip! How do I request a spotter?

It grinds my gears that they don't just have the actual problem on file (or at least didn't tell me); I'm not adverse to paying for a more complicated install (I know I'd have to talk to the management company but that doesn't worry me), especially since there's at least 3 of us who want installs. I'm a games programmer who likes to work from home occasionally, so a decent internet connection is extremely important to me.

0 Kudos
ricky26
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That's pretty sad to hear, how does 'reluctant' show itself in this case? Outright refusal? Smiley Sad I do indeed live in a 3-storey block, though I'm on the ground floor and there's grass from my external wall to the road.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ricky26 wrote:

@Kippies, thanks for the tip! How do I request a spotter?

It grinds my gears that they don't just have the actual problem on file (or at least didn't tell me); I'm not adverse to paying for a more complicated install (I know I'd have to talk to the management company but that doesn't worry me), especially since there's at least 3 of us who want installs. I'm a games programmer who likes to work from home occasionally, so a decent internet connection is extremely important to me.

It SHOULD be fairly easy.

0345 454 1111 , go through to  "thinking of leaving us" and tell them your story, and that you would like a spotter to survey the property.

If its a 3rd story property, it would need to be an internal ducting install in most cases- heights teams are basically  non existent at this point.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A lot of councils will now not allow visible external wiring on communal buildings (flats, apartments etc) which makes internal wiring the only option. Retrofit internal wiring to VM's standard of cabling is expensive, & is usually partially funded by a contribution from the landlord.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
ricky26
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It looks like I can't get through on that number since I don't have an existing account. (I do have VM at my previous address, but I'm moving out so need a new account.)
0 Kudos