Menu
yuuss91
Just joined
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin cable cut??

While we were removing a tree and it's roots, we accidently cut through a cable under the grass. This cable however did not go into the house. It stopped in the centre of my front lawn. That was why it was cut. Afterwards we found that the tv, internet and phone had stopped working.

When I rang VM they said that that is odd as the TV and internet have one connection and the phone has another connection. Therefore all 3 should not have gone off if one cable was cut.

How could this cable have been providing my VM services if it did not even go into the house? It just stopped in the centre of the garden.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin cable cut??

cannot answer why you have lost services cutting a cable that you say goes nowhere - that point i think you need to check but guess you already gave - there is only one cable from the cabinet to your house - its a dual cable - one half is coax and carries the BB and TV - the other half carries the twisted pairs for the phone - looks like a figure 8 

to try and work out whats happened trace back from the omnibox - thats the box that is on the external front wall of your property - that cable goes back to the street cabinet or should

Tony
0 Kudos
star
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Are you sure that the cable stopped in the middle of the lawn and not that the other end of the cable has retracted itself further under the lawn so you can't see it.

Know when workmen cut through my cable on the pavement, that caused a loss of all services and the ends of the cable slightly retracted into the plastic tubing that they use.

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

How did the cable originally terminate? Are you sure it finished in a dead end?

Is it a dual (figure of 8) cable with the phone line and digital coax cables together?

Have you traced the other end back to where it connects to the Virgin network?

Are any neighbours affected?

A badly terminated cable can degrade the nearby digital network. The telephone line would normally only be lost if it was cut or short circuited. Could this cable have been unofficially bridged to your official incoming cable?

In any case it sounds as if you need a VM tech to visit and sort it out. Just report it as a fault.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello yuuss91,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having right now. I've tried to book an engineer for you, but I can't seem to find your account details. Will you please drop me a PM confirming your address, so I can assist further.

Thanks for your patience,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos