Menu
CM2070
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Superhub displaying <0.5Mbps Download Speeds, but normal Ping and Upload Speeds. Easy fix?

Hi there, I'm very new to the forum, and in a unique position regarding solving this problem, so I thank anybody that can provide advice and apologise if I'm not conforming to forum etiquette. I've provided links to screenshots within the text, and hope that's alright. 

A quick summary of the problem: Yesterday there was a power outage in my neighbourhood, after which the download speed in the house has dropped to almost 0, while the ping and upload speed have remained the same. [Speeds: http://imgur.com/a/Hx6qn

While my first course of action would be to simply turn the hub off and on again, and check for warning lights, I cannot in this case as I live in a houseshare managed by an agency, and the superhub is currently located in a locked room, with no access to it. At this point it may seem as if it is then the agencies responsibility to sort out the issue, but the agency have been shown to be extremely slow in responding to issues, and so it would be great if this could be resolved in an easy manner. Even advice on what steps are needed once access to the router is possible would be fantastic in order to greatly speed up regaining normal usage ability! 

I'll include some of the statistics and settings from the hub I have seen people provide whilst searching for a solution in the forum, but if there are others needed please let me know and I'll hopefully be able to provide them. [Network Log, Downstream, Upstream: http://imgur.com/a/YxHCS ]

Thank you in advance for any help that you can give. Even just identifying the issue would be a massive help! 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Superhub displaying <0.5Mbps Download Speeds, but normal Ping and Upload Speeds. Easy fix?

Your link to downstream/upstream/network log isn't working

0 Kudos
CM2070
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Superhub displaying <0.5Mbps Download Speeds, but normal Ping and Upload Speeds. Easy fix?

http://imgur.com/a/YxHCS My mistake for putting the bracket directly on the end! 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Your Hubs missing a downstream channel and it looks like the power levels aren't great - especially SNR.

Have you a way to kill the power to the room in question? Electricity breaker maybe?

If the levels are the same when it comes back up, you may well need an engineer out anyway.

0 Kudos
CM2070
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I managed to switch off the circuit breaker. They were in the locked cupboard under the stairs which is which weren't accessible earlier, but a flatmate knew were the key was thankfully.

With that it seems that normal function has resumed. Thanks for suggesting that, I guess it really was an easy fix after all! 

I appreciate the help. Hopefully the issue doesn't come back! Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi CM!  There's a security risk in the links you have posted as they reveal your IP address (the 1.2.3.4 bottom left). They dont let you post IP's directly on here.   You need to edit this out rather quickly otherwise more unscrupulous types can "borrow" it and abuse it.

Cheers

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Mr HalfAsleep, missed that one

@CM2070

Ill ask mods to remove the links to your speed-tests as they do indeed display your WAN IP. Or you can kill em Imgurs end

0 Kudos
CM2070
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for spotting these guys. Removed on imgurs end! 

MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Good to hear.Smiley Happy  I try to be helpful where I can.

You would be surprised at the amount of infomation you can get from a single IP address.  Here's some heavily edited info:

Responsible organisation: Virgin Media Limited

from elsewhere on the innernets.

Stay safe people!

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes