Menu
alexeames
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Super Hub keeps resetting to factory defaults, losing SSID/PWD MAC filtering, reserved IPs etc.

Hi.

We have a several years old Virgin Super Hub which has given good service. But over the last couple of months we've found we have to reboot it a couple of times a week.

Worse than that though, twice in the last month it has reset itself to factory settings, thus nuking our SSID, login password, all stored MAC filtering (that helps keep our kid off the internet in the night) and reserved IP addresses (security cameras, temperature sensors etc.)

This is very annoying and I expect we need a new hub. Connection speed is ususally very good indeed.

Please advise.

Alex Eames

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Super Hub keeps resetting to factory defaults, losing SSID/PWD MAC filtering, reserved IPs etc

That's a known problem, you would normally need get a like-for-like replacement Superhub. However, as only the hub 3.0 is provided for the most part, the "replacement" you would get is a hub 3.0 rather than a like-for-like replacement.

If you wait up to two weeks, a member of the favicon.png Forum Team will reply to your topic and book for a "replacement" hub to be sent out to you 93 to 5 day delivery wait.)

Or call in and report a broadband fault (150 from a VM phone / 0345 454 1111 from any phone) -> Option 1 -> Confirm your details -> Option 2 (Faults) -> Report a broadband Fault, let any automated tests be done - but to avoid automated tests: reboot your hub and let it get online before calling in. Once through to an agent, ask for a "replacement" hub.

Alternatively, ask via the Webchat from a laptop or desktop between 8AM to 8PM M-Sa: Broadband -> Service Fault -> Chat online. All agents busy? Not a problem, all you need do is reload the page every three minutes and check again, repeatedly, until you get through. Once through to an agent ask for a replacement hub.

Lastly: Go into the advanced settings of your hub, back up the running config. The next time it auto-factory resets. You can restore the settings back in one fell swoop.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Super Hub keeps resetting to factory defaults, losing SSID/PWD MAC filtering, reserved IPs etc

That's a known problem, you would normally need get a like-for-like replacement Superhub. However, as only the hub 3.0 is provided for the most part, the "replacement" you would get is a hub 3.0 rather than a like-for-like replacement.

If you wait up to two weeks, a member of the favicon.png Forum Team will reply to your topic and book for a "replacement" hub to be sent out to you 93 to 5 day delivery wait.)

Or call in and report a broadband fault (150 from a VM phone / 0345 454 1111 from any phone) -> Option 1 -> Confirm your details -> Option 2 (Faults) -> Report a broadband Fault, let any automated tests be done - but to avoid automated tests: reboot your hub and let it get online before calling in. Once through to an agent, ask for a "replacement" hub.

Alternatively, ask via the Webchat from a laptop or desktop between 8AM to 8PM M-Sa: Broadband -> Service Fault -> Chat online. All agents busy? Not a problem, all you need do is reload the page every three minutes and check again, repeatedly, until you get through. Once through to an agent ask for a replacement hub.

Lastly: Go into the advanced settings of your hub, back up the running config. The next time it auto-factory resets. You can restore the settings back in one fell swoop.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
alexeames
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I did the online chat thing.

They are sending me a replacement. I was told it would be the same as my existing router though, not a Superhub 3. If I wanted the new one I was told I had to upgrade to 200 Meg connection, which, frankly (and I am a Youtuber - uploading Gigabyte files regularly) I don't need. 100 Meg is good enough.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

alexeames wrote:

Thank you. I did the online chat thing.

They are sending me a replacement. I was told it would be the same as my existing router though, not a Superhub 3. If I wanted the new one I was told I had to upgrade to 200 Meg connection, which, frankly (and I am a Youtuber - uploading Gigabyte files regularly) I don't need. 100 Meg is good enough.

Sounds like they have old stock laying around then, most people are getting a hub 3 regardless of the issue with their old hub

You wouldn't want a hub 3 anyway, it's full of bugs UI and feature wise, and it also causes permanently high spikey latency during its use.

- - - - - -
alexeames
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I told the support guy I don't care what it is as long as it works properly Smiley Happy

There was nothing much wrong with our existing one apart from having to reboot it a couple of times a week and the reset issue. It's clearly dying. I suspect heat degradation to be honest. It does seem to get rather hot.

If I was uploading Gigabytes every day I'd go for 200 Meg, but I don't need it.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

That's a good mentality ("it just needs to work") Cat Happy

The advice about 200Mb sounds old though. If that was about 7 months ago you got the advice, it would have been relevant. Currently the only hub VM issue generally and support is the hub 3.0. All the prior hubs are discontinued, with the 2AC being dropped a couple of months ago.

Anyway, you're better off with a older hub model currently

- - - - - -
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Shelke wrote:

That's a good mentality ("it just needs to work") Cat Happy

The advice about 200Mb sounds old though. If that was about 7 months ago you got the advice, it would have been relevant. Currently the only hub VM issue generally and support is the hub 3.0. All the prior hubs are discontinued, with the 2AC being dropped a couple of months ago.

Anyway, you're better off with a older hub model currently

Hi Shelke.  Any insight into why VM dropped the SH2ac so quickly?  It makes no sense to me and as far as I can see it is the best hub VM ever supplied.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Probably internal business decisions (contracts etc) and VM are moving into speed tiers which it can never support.

- - - - - -
alexeames
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

New hub is "out for delivery" so should get it today if Yodel get it right Smiley Happy

First job, setup

Second job, backup Smiley Tongue

alexeames
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It's here. It's a Super Hub 3, so Shelke was right. Smiley Happy

It's hooked up, activated and working.

Whole process took about 15 minutes

Can't argue with that and seems to be working well too. Long may it last

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 14.19.48.png