Menu
dutchy01
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media left me hanging without any internet

We were supposed to be switched from BT to Virgin Media for phone and broadband last Saturday. BT switched me off in the morning as expected but then the Virgin Media engineer could not connect us. Apparently there is a fault with the cable down the street and they would need to get permission from the council to dig up the pavement and repair the cable. This can take 4 to 6 weeks!

I phoned the helpdesk but there was no solution provided to me. I feel completely left hanging by Virgin Media. In the meantime my phone appeared to have been ported over to Virgin but I haven't heard from anyone at VM to explain how this can be sorted.

I would suggest two changes to your installation and aftercare procedures to prevent people being left without internet in the future.

1) When the first team of VM engineers comes to the property to lay the cable to the house ready for the second engineer to connect it internally.... please have the first team check the status of the cable. If the fault was discovered then, the installation date could be pushed forward and I might still have internet.

2) When thing do go wrong, don't put your head in the sand and let the customer try to sort everything out. Be proactive in finding a solution and negotiate with the initial broadband supplier to temporarily reconnect.

I would appreciate any contact from VM to explain the situation, where I stand and what can be done to resolve this.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media left me hanging without any internet

Hi dutchy01

Many thanks for taking the time to let us know about the issues that prevented the installation from taking place on the original installation scheduled date. I'd like to offer a warm welcome to the community forums too.

I have checked in with the teams about this for you and they have contacted the area managers regarding this for you via their failed install process.

The area managers should be contacting you within the next 48 hours to catch up with you to arrange to resolve this. The number they will try you on is the mobile you have updated with us as your preferred contact on your account.

If you could let us know once this has taken place if there is anything else you need us to do for you, then just pop back with your post and we'll do what we can for you.

Thanks again.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
dutchy01
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for responding to my post.

Unfortunately I haven't been contacted by anyone from VM as of yet. It's been nearly two weeks without broadband at home and I wonder what VM can offer me to bridge the time until you can connect me. If it takes another month or so can you compensate me in full for taken a pay as you go package from one of your competitors in the meantime?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

dutchy01 wrote:

Thanks for responding to my post.

Unfortunately I haven't been contacted by anyone from VM as of yet. It's been nearly two weeks without broadband at home and I wonder what VM can offer me to bridge the time until you can connect me. If it takes another month or so can you compensate me in full for taken a pay as you go package from one of your competitors in the meantime?

Thanks

short answer is VM will offer nothing - they may give some compensation in the form of a reduction in your bill for a month or so but dont hold your breath - you will have to push for that - call backs in 48 hours are promised but rarely happen - the process will lumber through their system and sooner or later they will sort the problem - but history on here says you can jump up and down but not much will change in the time scale - staff here will do their best but they can be ignored by area managers just as you will be

so you have choices - wait it out or look at BT or whoever 

Tony
0 Kudos
dutchy01
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wow. So I can't even expect a call from VM to discuss where I stand?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

dutchy01 wrote:

Wow. So I can't even expect a call from VM to discuss where I stand?

you can hope but they are rare - the staff here set things up but its then out of their hands - they will come back to the thread and try again if nothing happens 

unfortunately its pretty much down to you to push the boulder up hill - push the pre install team 

theres a saying - expect nothing and you wont be disappointed - keep that in mind and it makes [some] sense 

Tony
0 Kudos
dutchy01
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

- expect nothing and you wont be disappointed -

Is that Virgin Media's new slogan ?

0 Kudos
LucyPerkins
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello, I have the same situation today and I feel like I have spent most of my day on the phone to BT, Sky and Virgin. I cannot believe that BT switch off the broadband there is no way for them to switch it back on while Virgin fix the installation issues. I've even tried to take a new contract with either Sky or BT instead - but the wait would be the same as waiting for Virgin. So, I feel let down by them all and now I have over a week without broadband. Maybe I'll find some better ways to spend my time while I'm offline!
0 Kudos