Menu
EesaC
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Network Connection

Hi VM community,

In the past, I was a VM customer and still do have the cable connection to my property at ######################. I had been deliberating on moving back to VM last year and even was being offered £60 in-store credit, however I had put this off until now.

With a view to moving back to VM, I have attempted to sign up for broadband only but my address is incorrectly categorised as "no services available".

• I have had VM in the past
  • There is a cable running from the pavement CATV socket to a brown box at the front of my property
  • There is a green VM utility cabinet around 30m down my road
  • Neighbours on my street are signed up to VM
  • When entering my next door terraced neighbour's door number (65)  to see the services available "all services are available" is shown

I did have a web chat with a VM customer service adviser a month ago and was told to expect a phone call within the next 7 days, however I didn't receive one. Two weeks ago I did go to my local VM store and was told an engineer will be sent out to look at this and I'd receive a phone call within 48 hours, which I didn't.

Yesterday I attempted to visit my local Virgin Media store again, however they have now closed for good. I have submitted a cable my street form to register my interest, however my street is already cabled so I'd assumed it'd fall on deaf ears.

For further information, I live in a freehold terraced house; thus there should be no issues if you can offer services to the other side of my party wall, nor with any health and safety issues; as it isn't a flat. All I'm looking for is a reliable basic internet connection, there's no need for 300mbps; even 50mbps will be more than sufficient for me.

Awaiting your response.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Network Connection

Ask them to "send a spotter" as that's the process needed to amend incorrect DB entries where a property is listed as non serviceable.

0 Kudos
EesaC
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I believe that may have been the "engineer" I referred to in my original post, which VM were meant to send out and that I should've heard back within 48 hours

Kippies wrote:

Ask them to "send a spotter" as that's the process needed to amend incorrect DB entries where a property is listed as non serviceable.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

HI EesaC

I've checked into this for you and I can see that currently we can provide TV and Phone to the property but not Broadband due to a network capacity issue we now have to this area.

At this moment in time we are unable to offer broadband to you.

There is an open Newtwork ticket for this which is reference F004365417

This is set for review on November 8th.

If you'd like to check back in again with us around this time we can check into the updates on this for you.

If this is resolved we whoud at that point be able to offer services.

Thanks again.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
EesaC
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen,

Thank you for making time to investigate this for me and I appreciate your response.

However, I'm failing to comprehend why you're able to offer broadband to my neighbouring property (65) but not me at 67.

Even though our brown boxes are 10cm apart from each others and likewise our CATV "manholes" are 5cm apart.

I'd be grateful for a reasoning.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi EesaC

It's not because the infrastructure isn't there for you, it's because we are not allowed to supply broadband to new customers if there is an active issue with broadband capacity for existing customers.

We have on obligation to resolve this for our existing customers who would only be impacted further if we added new customers to the network whilst the issue is ongoing and you would join expecting your broadband speeds of say 100Mb, 200Mb or 300Mb and possibly receive much lower speeds.

The active known issue as mentioned has been booked ot and is under investigation and will be reviewed on the 8th Nov.

If you'd like further advice on this around that time please let us know.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
EesaC
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

A response to your reply

Hi again Karen,

You've unfortunately misunderstood my previous question.

I completely understand the issue regarding network utilisation issues.

My question simply was why the neighbouring properties (65 and all numbers below) are eligible and being offered broadband but my property at 67 isn't.

You can check the above simply on your serviceability widget on on your website, for your convenience I've included screenshots.

For my property (67), my neighbouring property (65), the further neighbouring property (63) ..... all the way to the first property on my road; I'm hoping that you now get the point.

Why is it that they're eligible and being offered broadband but not my property? What is it that makes them special and exclusive to the high utilisation issue? Why is it that it is my property at which the cutoff has been decided and implemented?

My property (67)My property (67)

Neighbouring propertyNeighbouring property

Two houses down (63)Two houses down (63)

Start of the road (2A)Start of the road (2A)

By the time of your response, it'll probably be after the reviewal so an update on F004365417 would be appreciated.

Awaiting your reply,

Eesa.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Eesa Smiley Happy

Thanks for confirming what you meant with the screenshots. That makes things a lot clearer!

I'll feed this back to the teams for you as if there is a capacity issue affecting the network for you it stands to reason the other addresses would be affected too.

If you can check back in again after the 8th too we can look at the updated F00 for you.

Cheers again!

Karen_A
Forum Team

0 Kudos
EesaC
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen,

Was hoping to see if you've received a response to my original enquiry from "the teams".

Also wanted to chase up F004365417 with you.

Everything seems to still be the same on your website and serviceability widget.

Thanks and regards.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Essa

I have actually had a reply and been advised that they are looking to see if sending a Site Survey engineer or Spotter is the best course of action for you here.

They seem to think that the F004365417 number is inhibiting the system from loading the options for you but might not be actually affecting this address so they are looking for the best way to ascertain this.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Karen_A
Forum Team

0 Kudos