Menu
twinspex
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Free Broadband upgrade - router upgrade problems

Hi,

I wanted to report what happened to me in case it helps others.

I have a package which include up to 100MBps broadband with a Superhub 2. On 17 Nov I received an email from Virgin Media telling me my broadband had been upgraded to Up to 150MBps and a new router would be delivered within a few days. I hadn't asked for any upgrade, but if it was free and didn't involve starting a new minimum contractual period, I was happy to accept it.

No new router arrived.

On the 2nd December I received another email (different to the first in design) again telling me that my broadband connection had been upgraded to Up to 150 MBps, that I was now "flying", and a new router was on the way. Again no new router turned up.

Today I called 150 and spoke to a member of the Broadband team. They first told me that a new router was not sent out to people on the Up to 150MBps upgrade. I quoted the two emails to her. She went away for a moment to confer then offered a paid upgrade to Up to 200MBps when a new router (presumably Superhub 3) would be sent out. I said I didn't want a paid upgrade. She then offered to send out a new router which would have an activation fee of £14.99. She referred me to the My Account pages where a paid 200MBps upgrade would incur a £14.99 activation fee. (It is in the small print at the bootom of the page).

I said I wasn't happy that a free broadband upgrade that I hadn't asked for, and which, according to the unsolicited emails received, would require a new router to use, should incur an activation fee not mentioned in those emails.

After consulting her line managemeent she agreed to send me out a new router by courier on 9th December which would not require a fee to get activated.

I am wondering whether anyone else is having to go through this rigmarole? Maybe even stumping up for an upgrade to 200MBps or having to pay an activation fee? Seems to me that one part of Virgin Media isn't talking to another part.

Ultimately, unless the Superhub 3 is a vast improvement on the Superhub 2 I will only be using it in modem mode. I found the Superhub 2 useless for multiple home wifi connections. I bought a decent router for that and just used the Superhub 2 in modem mode.

I've been contemplating downgrading my broadband and 1GB tivo as an economy measure, holding off until after Christmas, when I shall have a look at the competition. I'm not expecting the 150MBps upgrade to be a miraculous improvement as these descriptions are fantasy figures in the real world! 

Regards, Twinspex

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Free Broadband upgrade - router upgrade problems

The sh2 can do up to 200meg, there was no need in a new hub

0 Kudos
twinspex
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I guess that I've been fortunate in the outcome then. Still the fault lies with Virgin Media - why tell customers in two different pro forma emails that a new router is being supplied if it isn't required?
0 Kudos
twinspex
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Well, lo and behold - Virgin Media has gone ahead and stuck a £14.99 activation charge onto my latest bill for the new router I was eventually sent as part of my unasked for and supposedly "free" broadband upgrade from up to 100Mbps to 150 Mbps. This despite being told that the charge would be waived by customer services when we had a discussion about what "unsolicited" and "free" actually meant. Are they so dumb they think they can just slap on charges when they feel like it? Ohh I guess they are. Just waiting for 8am to come around so I can speak to customer services on 150.

0 Kudos