Menu
ChrisEdin82
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Fibre Keeps Dropping

I have had virgin 100mb fibre for the past two months and pretty much every second day or so my internet connection drops off and I have to reset my router, this does not always resolve the issue, in fact 99% of the time it doesn't help. If i wait an hour or so then my internet connection can come back on its own.

I work as a computer network technician so have done all the usual tests and can only conclude that either my router is faulty or the line is faulty. How can I get someone to check my line and resolve this? I can't have my internet cut off in the middle of a conference call and be down for an hour at a time every other day.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Fibre Keeps Dropping

The first thing to say that as a computer tech you should know that it is not sensible to rely on a VM residential service for business purposes, especially as you seem to need the service for mission critical applications. If you are using it exclusively for business then you are breach of the terms and conditions of service. VM offers no guarantees of service up-time or service repair times for its residential service. VM Business services offer both.

If you have checked the connections inside the house then there may be an issue in the external cabling or the wider external network.

The common cause of issues like this are SNR faults or power levels. Follow this advice and post details:

Go to 192.168.0.1 - there's no need to log in. In the Superhubs 1 2 and 2ac click the button in the top right corner. If it is the hub 3 click the link underneath the sign in. Post the stats from Downstream and Upstream. Someone who knows will look for you. Don't worry about the power levels

You can wait for a Forum Team member to pick this up and run the test for you but that may take a few days.

You can also phone in 150 (Broadband faults) and discuss - good luck with that one.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
ChrisEdin82
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No I do not work from home normally, but sometimes when on call I have to connect through RSA. I have only moved in 2 months ago and have been discussing with the company I work for regarding getting a direct secure line through them.. but until then my 100mb line should be sufficient.

When I go to 192.168.0.1 there are no links to click just a login page asking for a password, none has been provided with any of my paperwork.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

http://192.168.0.1 Password is on the label on the bottom of the hub - but as far as I can tell you shouldn't need it. You should see the required link for router stats on the opening page.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you haven't changed the password, as Howard says, there is a sticker on the underside of your HUB with default login details-. However you don't need to log in to get the metrics we need

Go to your Superhub Log in screen

Do NOT log in.

Little button top right.....

Can you post Upstream, Downstream and Network logs.

Screen caps are nice, C&P will do- Don't stress about formatting if you C&P. Someone will get a look and see if there's anything obvious amiss.

Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi ChrisEdin82, 

Thanks for getting in touch! I am sorry to hear about your internet connection dropping off, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested your connection from here and I can see that all of your downstream power levels are too low and both of your upstream power levels are too high. An engineer will need to attend in order to resolve this.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll get this all sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos