Menu
DaveM303
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Very old external box full of cables falling apart

Hi,

We have a very old (Maybe 20 years?) Cable & Wireless plastic junction box on the wall outside the house.  Last night, the wind blew it open and this morning all the wires were hanging out of it and they were all wet.

Is it possible to get this junction box changed for something that is less of an eyesore and not falling apart please?

The other thing is, could someone access our network from outside by connecting a device to these wires?

Thanks.

cables.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very old external box full of cables falling apart

the connectors are pretty waterproof. I just hold mine together while ago with a wire tie.

And no one can access your network from them
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You can either ring faults via 150 (this will be a free callout as it is classed as a fault) or wait for the Forum Team here to reply. You are more vulnerable from data that is already in the cable (hackers, viruses etc) than what is outside it.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi DaveM303,

Thanks for posting!

I'd say you're right, that box is looking a little worn down!

I'd like to arrange for a technician to sort this out for you. I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange an appointment.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
DaveM303
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, your engineer has arrived without an external cable box which was the reason he was coming! He said he has been told that we have no broadband.

I also asked him why our download speeds are capped at 1.2mbps, he said "he isn't computery".

He has bodged it for now with cable ties, so can we please reschedule and send someone with the right gear to do the job and preferably someone that "is computery".  I asked the engineer to reschedule, but he got in his van and has driven off without telling me anything.

I have replied to the message arranging the visit too.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello DaveM303

I am sorry our first engineer did not manage to resolve it. I can see you have another booked in for tomorrow, I have just confirmed that the notes do reflect the actual issue.

Good luck with the visit, please let us know how it goes.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos