Menu
noncencao
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Using second wall socket

Hi guys,

I want to use an other wall socket in the house but when I relocated the super hub to that room I had no broadband at all. I called the customer service but they were unable to help and said if I want to use an other socket I should pay for the engineer visit so they can do something about that.

I am pretty sure that they could not understand the situation as I had been transfered to a different person/department 3 times! I fed up in the end as some of them said if I have one socket working in the house then I should use that one even if I definitely need a wired connection in the second room with the second socket.

All I need is a confirmation that even if I have more sockets in the house (totally the same as the one which the super hub had been installed by myself and used in the last 4 months without any issues) I can't use them or if I can, how?

I know about wifi repeaters, etc but I would like to know more about using the second socket directly.

Thank you very much, 

Norbert

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Using second wall socket

can you follow the wire for the 2nd socket to see where it goes or is it buried in plaster etc?

All Replies
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you need a socket activated and you dont know how to do this yourself you would need to pay for an technician visit to do this
noncencao
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Is it the same process as I needed to do when I started to use the first socket? Shall I totally reset the super hub then call the automatic activation number and that's all?
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If the hub is already activated, it shouldn't care which socket you connect it to, unless for some reason the socket is connected to a different feed and not just split from the one coming into your house.

What is the history behind the 2nd socket, there is a chance it isn't live. what path does the wire for this socket take to the properties feed and how does it compare to the 1st socket.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Either the second feed was disconnected when it ceased to be used (which would improve the signal at the existing socket) or the connections/splitters have deteriorated to the extent that they will not pass enough signal for the second point to be used.

There is also the question of whether this is a fault callout or not, as your current setup is working correctly. Non-fault callouts carry a hefty fee.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

noncencao
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you guys for the replies.
Unfortunately I am not aware of the history of the sockets, I hoped the technical service team could help but they said they didn't know anything at all.
Is there any way thatnI can find out these things?
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

can you follow the wire for the 2nd socket to see where it goes or is it buried in plaster etc?

noncencao
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you guys, for all the helpful replies. I followed the cables outside the house and found the virgin box, opened it and I saw that the cable which leads to the other socket is not plugged in at all. I had only one main cable, so I unplugged the one which was for the original socket, the first one, and simply plugged the other one in. Now it's working fine, I should have started with this, but to be honest I never realised that I have that box on the wall of the house!

Thanks again for you all.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi noncencao, 

Thanks for keeping us updated. I am glad to see that you have managed to get things resolved with the help of our lovely forum users Smiley Happy

If you do need help in the future the team here as well as our forum members will always be happy to take a look. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos