Menu
roman126
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade to Superhub 3

Hello

i have been advised to take advantage of the free upgrade to Superhub 3, my Superhub 2 doesn’t reach all parts of my house and has to be rebooted frequently to restore service. I have been advised that an upgrade to Superhub 3 should correct this.

have tried the online upgrade form which doesn’t recognise my details, name, postcode, etc.

tried to contact VM on live chat which never seems to be online (for me anyway) :-(

0 Kudos
chrisxp
Dialled in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade to Superhub 3

Depending on your needs I'd take time to think about upgrading.

As "everyone" says the SH3 is flawed by the puma chip which affects gaming etc and drops a lot of packets. A quick search of the forums with "sh3 puma" will show all the results.

Personally I've enabled modem mode on my SH3 to use my Netgear R8000 for the advanced features, but the SH3 WiFi range is good as standard.

Happy Virgin Customer

If you like my answer please give "Kudos" (thumbs up) and if it's helpful please mark it as "Accepted Solution".

0 Kudos
theaton56
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I too tried the upgrade path (found by accident) and couldn't be identified.  I actually opened a chat box and he wanted to know where I found this link and he told me basically that there wasn't an upgrade path.  

I agree, using the SH2 in modem mode and external router is an option, BUT seeing as we are paying for a service which currently is a major PITA, why should we have to pay extra for a 3rd party router.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superfast
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A bit of history...

In the early days, you got only a modem and a few brave people connected a wireless router to it and got WiFi. This caught on, and Telewest even use to give you a router if you upgraded or signed a one-year contract extension.

Fast forward several years, VM introduced the hub which has the modem and router in one box. To be fair, this has worked reasonably well for most people, but increasingly a minority demanded the facility to use their routers which were better than the one in the hub. So, eventually VM caved in and introduced modem mode.

I'd actually like VM to reintroduce the modem for those with their own routers. 

0 Kudos
ant50
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'd like to upgrade to 300mb but I hear such bad things about the Superhub 3 that I'm really reluctant to do so.

I currently have a Superhub 2 on 200mb, and had to move to a separate router/wifi solution to avoid a SIP issue that stopped my VOIP phones from working. So I'm already running my SH2 in modem mode - that's no problem (quite used to it now, I actually find the separate router to be a better solution) but I seem to recall reading that most of the SH3 problems are actually while in modem mode?

Is that still the case, or am I mistaken? Basically what I'm asking is... is it safe to upgrade to SH3 yet? Hope someone can advise. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
scoobydo
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

dont do it simples

0 Kudos
theaton56
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I bit the bullet and upgraded to Vivid 300,  must admit I gave not had a problem with unit so far.  No longer having to reboot every 2 days or less to keep laptops, kindles, iphones etc connected.

Must admit that I have a faster connection on wireless as well, tested on laptop, kindle & iphone.

So happy bunny at end of the day, damn shame I couldn't get it upgraded / replaced FOC.

0 Kudos
scoobydo
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well if you are happy then all good. I could tell immediately that something wasn't right. Within half an hour after changing the ICMP ping tester it was confirmed that pings were spiking much more than before. A quick test of buffer bloat and this was a very poor grade f.

0 Kudos