Menu
angrycustomer13
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Unacceptable installation problems

Hi there,

I'll try to keep this as concise as possible. Here is my experience with VirginMedia:

Backstory

I contacted VirginMedia at the end of August to enquire about purchasing their 120Mb broadband package. I was told I was in a valid area and they would do the installation on 13th September. On the 13th, I was told that there was a construction issue and they would need council permission before the installation could be completed. This was an issue the installation team would verify, I didn't have to do anything personally, and they would contact us in a couple of weeks with our new installation date. 2 weeks went by - nothing. 4 weeks went by and still nothing. Decided I better contact customer service to find out what the problem was.

Customer service nightmares

Contacted customer service on a Monday evening and brought up the installation problem. Was told that the operations desk was closed at this time and they would call me back on Tuesday when the desk reopened. No call on Tuesday. Call back on Wednesday afternoon and explain the problem. I am put on hold while customer services speaks with operations. Told they are investigating the problem and would call me back on Thursday. No call on Thursday. Call late on Thursday night and told they will definitely call me back on Friday. No call on Friday. Call once again on Friday evening and speak to a lady who tells me Virgin have a policy where they guarantee an installation will be completed within 6 weeks of the original installation date. This is the first and last I have heard of this policy. She assures me that the installation will be sorted before 2nd November (6 weeks from 13th September). Receive a call on 1st of November from someone claiming to be a manager who tells me they won't be able to install our broadband by the 2nd, she tells me that a member of the installation team will contact me in the next few days to reschedule. This time they do actually call me back and give a new date of 17th December. After demanding that this was unacceptable, I got them to agree to the next available date which was 20th November. I told them that our previous installation was cancelled due to a construction issue and asked them if they could guarantee our installation would definitely take place on the 20th November. I was assured that all construction issues had been sorted and they had been granted council permission.

Contact with installation manager

This takes us to today. At about 10am I was contacted by an installation manager who told me our broadband could not be installed today due to a construction issue. I told him that I had been assured all construction issues had been sorted and was promised the installation would definitely take place today. After many apologies and acting confused as to how this had happened, he told me the next installation date would be 17th December. He gave me his personal assurance that the construction issues would absolutely be sorted and the installation will definitely be completed on the 17th. I'm sure I have heard that before.. I have 2 problems with this: 1. Why was I told that council permission had been granted when it obviously hadn't? 2. I was told the council needs 1 month notice, but 2 months down the line, I am given a date another month from now - what the hell have Virgin been doing this whole time?

This has been totally unacceptable from VirginMedia. If, IF, the installation takes place on the 17th of December, that will be more than 3 months after our original installation date, and almost 4 months after ordering the package. I made an official complaint over the phone in mid October and this complaint still hasn't been dealt with. I sent an email complaint almost a month ago which hasn't been dealt with. Customer service have given me incorrect information, haven't called me back and have generally been useless. And now the installation team have told me incorrect information about the construction situation. This has dragged on for long enough. I am trying to purchase VirginMedia's premium broadband package and I would have thought that they'd value their customers a little better than this. Unacceptable.

Regards,

An angry customer

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unacceptable installation problems

Councils are a PITA when it comes to digging up roads/paths etc just for internet to be fitted.

Also they can actually take upto 3 months to confirm planning permissions
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
angrycustomer13
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'm sure councils are a nightmare to deal with, but that is beside the point. Why was I told that permission had been granted, to now be told that it hasn't? And if councils can take 3 months to confirm permission, what happens if 17th December comes round and the council hasn't replied? Virgin have told me they spoke to the council in October so this could drag on and on. It is dishonest to blame difficulties with the local council on Virgin's inability to communicate with customers. Their ridiculous complaints department makes matters worse. Whenever I try to raise an issue I am relayed between several members of customer service, none of who will ever give any proper information.

For a company of this size and reputation, VirginMedia have been an embarrassment.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, this is not an uncommon occurrence for VM their internal communication leaves a lot to be desired.

Had similar problems with a cable re-pull,  got it done on second no-show by managing to speak to the construction manager, who told me that the reason they had not shown up in the allotted time slot was that the crew got held up on another job, which turned out to be a lie as the crew told me that the reason they were late that they were only given the job 40 mins ago.

I wouldn't believe this "planning permission" excuse either, you do not need planning permission to open up a road, just a permit and the roadspace booked. However, if TRO's are required, this can take a bit of time. You can usually get a full road closure in about 4 to 8 weeks, so I don't know where this "3 months" comes in. I would also bear in mind that VM are a fully accredited Street Works company and they deal with councils on a daily basis, so most things should be a formality.

They only thing I can advise that when you phone up in future speak to the retentions team, (thinking of leaving us option) as they seem to be the best people to get things done, especially if you have BT Infinity in your area.

angrycustomer13
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for the reply.

Agreed - their excuses are a load of nonsense. They keep quoting that the council needs 1 month notice for the installation but 2 months later and they're now quoting me a date a further month from now. It's so damn frustrating. There isn't even an accessible complaints department to raise my issues with. They're a massive company, there are no excuses for their terrible customer service.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

To be honest it probably is the council messing them about - This comes from experience (not mine, but certainly work related and installs of this nature)

The complaint process is here btw

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=2905&CURRENT_C...
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I remember supervising a new bus lane project, we discovered a VM cable had to be diverted to accommodate the road widening, got VM out, informed the Supervising City Council Engineer what we were doing , he said fine and the new cable was in the ground within two weeks, all 2Km of it. This comes from experience, mine

I won't tell you about the embarrassing phone call I made to VM about my internet not working that evening Smiley Embarassed, was funny though that the offshore call centre agent  repeatedly swore blind that there was no works going on in the area even when I told her I was stood over the VM crew as they cut the cable Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
angrycustomer13
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Gary - stop blaming the council. Even if the council have been messing them around (which I have no reason to believe), there are still major issues I have with Virgin's customer service. Virgin have lied, given me false information and have made no effort to keep me informed. Blaming the council just deflects from the fact that VirginMedia have been utterly useless, and your posts suggesting it might be the council's fault are at best dishonest and at worst deliberately misleading.

I am also aware of the complaint process - I just find it totally useless. I lodged an official complaint by phone more than a month ago and when I called customer service yesterday to complain again, I was told I couldn't register another complaint as I already had one open - I was also told that my open complaint should have been dealt with by now and the customer service lady was very surprised nobody had contacted me about it.

I've found the complaints process to be a ridiculous cycle of redirection. The complaint code of practice clearly states they prefer to deal with complaints by telephone. So after spending ages calling the number listed on the CoP pdf (only to find out that, even though the number is slightly different from the number listed under the 'contact us' webpage, it still calls the stupid automated system without an option to press for complaints) I was told that they will register my complaint but they would prefer me to send an email - Your webpage says you prefer to deal with them by telephone! So I sent an email a month ago and still no reply. Please note that their wording on the CoP states "we aim to reply within 28 days" (emphasis mine). Nowhere does it state they promise to reply within a certain time. Virgin's complaints policy seems to be based on the idea that if they throw you back and forwards between departments and never respond to your issues, you will eventually tire and cease following up your complaint.

SnacksALot
Settling in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I am now going through the same.

I even setup a twitter account to log all my updates https://twitter.com/MFKhushi

latest one today is:

@virginmedia Virgin on the ridiculous day 112, 2,688 hours since my first installation date was cancelled. I still wait for a new date Smiley Sad

When did you finally get yours sorted?

0 Kudos
benyoung4
Joining in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Socking service from Virgin Media - So here is my nightmare...

In the beginning this all made sense; consolidate my TV, Broadband and phone to one provider and hopefully get some decent internet service. Now I wish I hadn’t bothered!

So I switched from Sky to Virgin in the hope of better Broadband. I went with the full package so got TV and phone. The engineer Jay installed the service on 19th August 2015 and had to run a new cable around my house. In doing this he went up on to my flat roof where he spent some time fitting the new cable and connecting the service.

The engineer left and I had to call him back as the second V+ box wasn’t working. He came back and got it working by plugging in a scart cable which he said had to be used for the Box to work (something I have now found out is not true!).

Later that evening I realise that my ceiling from the flat roof is leaking! I call out a builder who attends the next morning to inspect the roof and informs me that someone has damaged the roof. They have disturbed the skirting where the roof material is connected to the wall. So I phone Virgin and the nightmare begins…

I phoned virgin on 20th August 2015 and spoke to a very helpful women who tells me that the problem will be resolved in 48 hours. I questioned what this meant and she said they would get people out to fix the issue. This sounds great so I ended that called happy.

While out of the country I get a phone call from my wife on 26th August to tell me that we have a puddle on the floor from the leak! She phoned Virgin and again spoke to a very helpful women who said the same things as before, someone would be out to fix in 48 hours. My wife told the women that it was leaking and needed to be sorted so she was told to get a builder out to temporarily fix the leak which we did. 48 hours passed and I phoned Virgin on the 28th August and spoke to a manager who told me that someone would call me back that day. Guess what, no call. I called on 29th August and spoke to a manager Ruth ID No. 7689414 who was rude and total unhelpful. I asked to speak to a senior manager to which she told me there are no senior managers just managers, even though Virgin Media’s own Complaints Resolution Code of Practice on their website mentions senior managers.

So getting nowhere by phone, tried a letter. Sent to the complaints department on 3rd September. As yet no reply, great service.

Phoned again on 31st August and another manager tells me that he is going to personally deal with my case. I get passed through to the company who Virgin subcontract to do the installations and someone arranges to come and assess the damage and see what needs to be done on 5th September. I finally feel that I’m getting somewhere, how wrong I was…

Richard Marsden visits the property and after 5 minutes and a few photos through the upstairs window, tells me that he will email his department and a building company they use would be in touch to arrange to come out.

Thinking that the right people are now dealing with the issue I wait, and wait… On 14th September I call Richard Marsden and he tells me that he has emailed his bosses but he would follow up and give me a call back. Guest what, no call back.

I phoned Virgin on 16th September again and again spoke to another manager who is going to follow up the complaint for me. She gives me different names of area managers and big bosses for the installation company, Warwick Joplin, Simon H, who will be calling me, guess what, no call.

I call Richard Marsden on the 21st September and no answer just voice mail. Called Virgin again on 21st September and again spoke to another manager Tracy Walberg. She tells me that she will personally “own” my outstanding complaint and look in to it for me. She reads out the notes on the account and tells me that the message from Richard Marsden was that the engineer was not to blame for the damage. This I found absolutely bewildering as when Richard Marsden visited the property he did not inspect the roof merely looked at it. Plus no information or phone had been made to me to inform me of this. Tracy was on this, her words not mine.

I called Virgin Media on 23th September to inform them that the second box was not working properly. An engineer was needed to visit to check.

I received a voice mail from Tracy on 24th September telling me that Andrew Matthewson from the complaints team has taking over my complaint and will be dealing with it now.

Engineer attended on 25th September who was keen to tell me that the engineer who installed the service was not the best and that he was surprised to hear he was on a flat roof as engineers are not allowed on flat roofs!! I guess that’s why they don’t have ladders with them. I was very interested to hear this piece of information. He also replaced the box which was faulty and gave me the correct controller as the last engineer had given me a Tivo controller not a V+ controller!! I’m not sure that the original engineer had much of a clue at all. Service now working, internet not great.

So today 28th September I called Virgin again in the morning 9.15am as no contact from Andrew Matthewson. Again I spoke to a customer relations person who basically told me that there was nothing she could do as the notes on my account said that the complaint was resolved. This was news to me. Basically the complaint would not be dealt with any more! I stressed my amazement to this information and asked to speak with the complaints team. I was told that there was no number to contact the complaints team and they would have to email them and they would contact me. I told them that I wanted a call back right away from anyone in the department. Guess what, no call.

I called Virgin again at 4.50pm and spoke to yet another virgin member of staff who discussed with his manager and told me there was nothing he could do. His manager would simply tell me the same thing. I asked to be transferred to someone who could deal with me and again he told me that there was no one to transfer me to. Unbelievable for a company the size of Virgin Media that there is no one to speak to. I left with his manager Sean Drakett (Sheffield centre) going to call me back at 6.30 pm as I would be unavailable before that. He phoned at 6.00pm and my wife asked him to call back at 6.30 pm, guess what, no call back.

Will this nightmare ever end, will Virgin ever fulfil their promises or even call me back…!

If you are thinking of joining Virgin Media be warned of their lack of customer service and extremely poor communications (ironic for a media company). I would think twice if I were you…

0 Kudos