Menu
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 11 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Two broadband providers?

cybmole wrote:

steelysteph wrote:

No need to Google, the miniumum BT are offering is more than double I was getting with Sky and the 'up to' is more than triple.

sure, and virgin can now deliver 300MBs -

( wow, did you see that flying pig... ) 

....it says so in the news article - don't believe everyhing you hear/ read. the only difference between BT internet and SKy internet is the brand name on the router. It's the same technology delivered via the same wires, installed by the same contractor ( Openreach ) 

My point is that the only way they can achieve the guaranteed minimum speed is to properly fix the gaffa taped connection at the rear of my house.  If they aren't willing to do carry out a proper repair then they will be in breach of contract.  When I was with Sky I had no such guarantee of minimum speed, only the usual 'up to'.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 12 of 16
Flag for a moderator

HowardML wrote:
Yes you can. The two BB services operate over different and independent networks. As for your logic, that leaves something to be desired.

I resemble that remark, Howard! 

I have them both side by side for service assurance purposes.  True, my "up to 76Meg" BT Infinity rubbish only runs at 55Meg due to aluminium cable that those turds won't replace, but 55Meg is better than zero.  That said, I've never had a VM outage in the 20 years or so I've taken cable services.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 16
Flag for a moderator

HowardML wrote:

it makes no sense that VM can offer you cable broadband but not a phone landline as both those services use the same infrastructure

Yes it does. If the local boxes which contain the phone circuitry have run out of capacity then the service cannot be provided. The phone circuit is entirely separate from the BB circuit and runs over a separate set of wires - though the main cable actually contains the two cables side by side , joined at the hip as it were. If the OP is in an area where VM are using a fibre connection to the outside wall of the house (Project Lightning) and coax inside no phone circuit at all is provided. 

VM are starting to roll out VoIP services to the Project Lightning areas now.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I only discovered this, this morning. But it might explain past contact with VM.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 15 of 16
Flag for a moderator

steelysteph wrote:

Simple question - Is it permitted to have BT Broadband alongside VM Broadband?

I have my phone line with BT (VM are unable to provide that service) and they've offered me a really good deal to add broadband.  Now, you're probably asking why. ......

Well; the copper line to my house is long and old, when I had Sky BB I was getting dreadful speeds and constant dropouts especially when it rained.  Everytime I had a problem Sky would arrange for an Openreach engineer who would come along and patch the connection, but the speed remained poor.  My thought is that if I get BT BB they'll actually get Openreach to fix the problem properly and, should I decide to drop VM in the future, I may get acceptable speeds from BT or Sky.

Unless the wire is badly corroded, its unlikely to be replaced.

The increase in guaranteed minimum and headline speeds is simply because of better technology both ends of the same wire, not better wires- same as VM

Having said that , if its a while since you have had a provider that uses Openreaches network, there may be FTTC available that previously was not - thats likely to cost more than a fiver extra a month, so what they are likely offering you is vanilla ADSL.

Personally, for 5 quid a month, Id add it for redundancy, then see what the speeds are like. If nothing else it puts you in a better position reference service outages and like you say gives you options going forward as well.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 16 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Sephiroth wrote:

HowardML wrote:
Yes you can. The two BB services operate over different and independent networks. As for your logic, that leaves something to be desired.

I resemble that remark, Howard! 

I have them both side by side for service assurance purposes.  True, my "up to 76Meg" BT Infinity rubbish only runs at 55Meg due to aluminium cable that those turds won't replace, but 55Meg is better than zero.  That said, I've never had a VM outage in the 20 years or so I've taken cable services.

Yes, another Dual WAN user here. Same as Seph, I use it for redundancy (work from home at times) and unlike Seph, I've had VM outages over the period. So VM & BT via Draytek Vigor 2860, was a TP-ERL5120 until recently.  

Also getting IPv6 with the Draytek now, but can't say that has improved my life any ....  Smiley Wink

0 Kudos