Menu
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Two broadband providers?

Simple question - Is it permitted to have BT Broadband alongside VM Broadband?

I have my phone line with BT (VM are unable to provide that service) and they've offered me a really good deal to add broadband.  Now, you're probably asking why. ......

Well; the copper line to my house is long and old, when I had Sky BB I was getting dreadful speeds and constant dropouts especially when it rained.  Everytime I had a problem Sky would arrange for an Openreach engineer who would come along and patch the connection, but the speed remained poor.  My thought is that if I get BT BB they'll actually get Openreach to fix the problem properly and, should I decide to drop VM in the future, I may get acceptable speeds from BT or Sky.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Two broadband providers?

Yes you can. The two BB services operate over different and independent networks. As for your logic, that leaves something to be desired.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

HowardML wrote:
Yes you can. The two BB services operate over different and independent networks. As for your logic, that leaves something to be desired.

Really? I'm usually praised for my extremely logical approach to problem solving and task management Smiley Happy.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Openreach will behave equally well or badly towards any of the BB suppliers that use its network. It should be even-handed. You hopes are not likely to be fulfilled.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

1. so long as the "copper line to my house is long and old" there is nothing that any of BT, Openreach, Sky can do for you to improve speeds. they all use the same technology.

BT has postcode checkers which will tell you what speeds are available now and when/ if that is ever likely to improve 

Apply your extremely logical approach to problem-solving and task management to a google search for that.

my daily ration of Let Me google that for you is all used up Smiley Happy

it makes no sense that VM can offer you cable broadband but not a phone landline as both those services use the same infrastructure

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

it makes no sense that VM can offer you cable broadband but not a phone landline as both those services use the same infrastructure

Yes it does. If the local boxes which contain the phone circuitry have run out of capacity then the service cannot be provided. The phone circuit is entirely separate from the BB circuit and runs over a separate set of wires - though the main cable actually contains the two cables side by side , joined at the hip as it were. If the OP is in an area where VM are using a fibre connection to the outside wall of the house (Project Lightning) and coax inside no phone circuit at all is provided. 

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

1. so long as the "copper line to my house is long and old" there is nothing that any of BT, Openreach, Sky can do for you to improve speeds. they all use the same technology.

BT has postcode checkers which will tell you what speeds are available now and when/ if that is ever likely to improve 

Apply your extremely logical approach to problem-solving and task management to a google search for that.

my daily ration of Let Me google that for you is all used up Smiley Happy

Wow, ask a simple question ...

No need to Google, the miniumum BT are offering is more than double I was getting with Sky and the 'up to' is more than triple.  The offer of unlimited BB and phone calls is just £5 on top of what I'm paying now (per month), it would also give me a back up internet connection in the event of a failure in the VM service.

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

BT/Sky should be able to offer identical speeds, as they share exactly the same infrastructure from the cabinet to your home. There's no reason for Sky to be slower, or BT faster.

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Bit of a tangent but have you considered a VOIP for the phone? Or just using a mobile. Better still both so you have a backup.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

steelysteph wrote:

No need to Google, the miniumum BT are offering is more than double I was getting with Sky and the 'up to' is more than triple.

sure, and virgin can now deliver 300MBs -

( wow, did you see that flying pig... ) 

....it says so in the news article - don't believe everyhing you hear/ read. the only difference between BT internet and SKy internet is the brand name on the router. It's the same technology delivered via the same wires, installed by the same contractor ( Openreach ) 

0 Kudos