Menu
JinjaBeardy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tip for potential new Virgin customers

Hi All, New Virgin Media customer here, just a quick bit of info that might prove helpful for people thinking of switch from another provider to VM. Hope this is the right place for this, sorry if it should be somewhere else.

Tip 1: Don't believe the appointment dates provided when you book online - wait until they contact you with the REAL dates. The online system offered and accepted an appointment only 4 days from when I was ordering, but a while later an email arrived changing the dates to 2 weeks away - very irritating. I'd just had a enough time to book the day off work.

Tip 2: VM tell you that you have to cancel your existing services yourself. I did this and arranged a cancelation date for a week after my revised appointment (just in case).

My existing broadband was cutoff today, the day of my ORIGINAL Virgin appointment and when I called my current provider they said this was requested on my behalf by Virgin - so now I have no broadband at all for 8 days. Called Virgin customer services and was told that no earlier appointment is available so I am 'rubber ducked'. Thanks Virgin, super work.

The moral of the story - better to do it all by phone and record it. Hope this saves some other people some of the aggro I have had, apart from interrupted service I have had over an hour on the phone to different customer service numbers and all with zilch benefit. Great start to my relationship with Virgin, this is.

0 Kudos
lab_42
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tip for potential new Virgin customers

Hi Jinja

Commiserations. Sounds like you had a nightmare switching over.

We've recently transferred over to VM and I would have been very upset if we had had your experience.

However, our engineer arrived on the day we selected, telephoned to check if he could come early, was polite and worked quickly to get everything set up.
We needed the telephone socket on the other side of the room and that was no problem for him.

Our previous provider cut off the broadband first thing and we had to wait for the VM offering to connect up due to a national fault but the engineer informed us of that and apologised for it.  The phone line was active straight away in that we could dial out but again it would take around 24 hours to be able to ring in. 

I checked the phone line the next day and all was fine.

All in all not an instant transfer but fairly seamless in comparison to yours.
However, my grouses are:

1. we don't have the Sony Movie Channel (available on FreeView) with the basic package. But that's really such a first world problem it's not worth crying over and I only discovered it when I wanted to watch Road to Perdition last week.  If/when we can afford to sign up for the movie channels maybe we will but I couldn't find anything that just gave us just movies on top of the basic package when signing up.  
2.  The billing.  The first bill carries two months package rental.  There was nothing about that during sign up at all and I only found it when looking at the bill explanation provided.  At least a bill explanation is provided.  Also, I'm not actually sure when that bill comes out so, with our previous provider charging us for disconnect as well, I've got to watch we don't overspend before those two bills combined create a three figure hole in the bank balance.  We all know what deep joy that is, so it would be nice to know approximately when the first bill is produced.

So yep, a few surprises but not as traumatic as yours.  Hope it's all settling down for you now.

JinjaBeardy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lab_42

Glad your experience has been better than mine. In my case it has got worse - engineer no-show yesterday and no information until I sat listening to the same five songs on hold for 40mins, after finally talking to someone (who was helpful) I was contacted to say 'Sorry, engineer called away on an emergency, and we forgot to tell you.' Honest, but when you've taken a day off work extremely irritating. They say they will get here today. Last chance Virgin - if they screw up today I shall cancel and go elsewhere. I've been without broadband for over a week now and it's costing me money to use my mobile a s a hotspot.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

lab_42 wrote:

However, my grouses are:

1. we don't have the Sony Movie Channel (available on FreeView) with the basic package. But that's really such a first world problem it's not worth crying over and I only discovered it when I wanted to watch Road to Perdition last week.  If/when we can afford to sign up for the movie channels maybe we will but I couldn't find anything that just gave us just movies on top of the basic package when signing up.  

2.  The billing.  The first bill carries two months package rental.  There was nothing about that during sign up at all and I only found it when looking at the bill explanation provided.  At least a bill explanation is provided.  Also, I'm not actually sure when that bill comes out so, with our previous provider charging us for disconnect as well, I've got to watch we don't overspend before those two bills combined create a three figure hole in the bank balance.  We all know what deep joy that is, so it would be nice to know approximately when the first bill is produced.

1) This is a decision by the channel owner, not Virgin. Sony Movie channel is a subscription channel on both Sky & Virgin, as the channel owner wishes to take a cut from the subscription revenue the package receives. If you want it free you need to get Freeview. You also do not have the option to "cherry pick" the channels you want, as selling channels like this is uneconomic both for the channel owners & the TV platforms.

2) Billing a month in advance is common practice with all Telco providers.

https://my.virginmedia.com/discover/welcome/your-bill/intro.html

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
lab_42
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd - I fear you've missed the point.  My point was it would be nice to know what the first bill will approximately contain before we've signed up not after.  That all telco's charge monthly in advance isn't relevant here imo.  Also, other telco's tend to bill quickly yet we have yet to receive notification of our first bill so it would also be good to know how long before the first bill comes out.  That information isn't available yet.

0 Kudos
lab_42
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@JinjaBeardy sounds awful.  Commiserations once again.  Hope you get sorted soon! I was lucky to get our installation on a Saturday.  I can imagine workplace not happy if you have to keep taking time off.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

lab_42 wrote:

@nodrogd - I fear you've missed the point.  My point was it would be nice to know what the first bill will approximately contain before we've signed up not after.  That all telco's charge monthly in advance isn't relevant here imo.  Also, other telco's tend to bill quickly yet we have yet to receive notification of our first bill so it would also be good to know how long before the first bill comes out.  That information isn't available yet.

What date you are billed on will depend which billing area you are under. Virgin has taken over the franchises of many cable compaines, & bills roll out at different times in different areas. It is also dependant on your service start date as to whether you pay a month & a few days, or nearer two whole months in your first bill.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos