Menu
D4BV2
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Switching from BT to Virgin Media

Hi all

So I currently have my Broadband, TV & Phone supplied by BT. It's awful, slow, and overpriced, which is why I am now switching to Virgin Media.

I've just bought a Virgin bundle so they can be my new suppliers of all 3 services. This is due to start on 20th January.

My BT bundle is due to end on 21st January, so i called them up to give them my 30+ days notice. They said if I was to cancel, rather than switch, I'd have to pay some kind of disconnection fee (on the broadband, I think). They said if I buy my new package with Virgin, Virgin will do the switch and so I won't have to pay any disconnection fee. Is that true? Or are BT lying?

I can't help but feel that BT are trying to reach the sub 30 days before I realise that this disconnection fee is a load of rubbish, and so I end up paying for another month with them.

Just wanted to check if any of this is true? Or if I should call them back and make sure my contract with them is cancelled...

Thanks in advance!

Darren

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Switching from BT to Virgin Media

No matter what switching from bt to virgin will incurr a fee as you are no longer going to be connected to the open reach network

D4BV2
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That's what I thought as well. Sounds like he was trying to fob me off a little bit so it would reach sub-30 days and I'd end up being locked in to another month!

I shall call up again and definitely cancel then thanks!

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

best to make the disconnection date a few days after incase virgin mess up
0 Kudos
mbmaplethorpe
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Did the same thing last year moving from phone, TV and broadband with BT to Virgin.

Simply ordered Virgin bundle online and provided details about current provider - VM did the rest. There's no charge to leave BT if you are out of contract. Contracts DON'T automatically renew - one your current contract is up you can provide notice with no charge.

If you've had all your BT equipment for at least a year then it's yours to keep. They'll send you a bag and a letter about recycling, though I opted to 'recycle' mine via eBay.
0 Kudos
D4BV2
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks mbmaplethorpe

So I gave them another ring and to no surprise, they hadn't cancelled my account like I requested!

This time they have done, and I have the confirmation email to prove it. Success at last!

On the email it does however say this:

What you'll pay

You'll need to pay £31.00 for stopping your BT services. This includes:

• Charge for stopping your broadband - You'll need to pay about £31.00 for stopping your broadband.

Is there a way of avoiding that £31 cost for stopping the broadband? I was hoping Virgin would do the switch for free. Kind of like when you switch your gas and electricity to another company. Am i naive to think it would be free? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This charge is for work carried out by BT Openreach on their network.

Virgin Media do not use this network, hence you bear the charge to discontinue your BT connection.

This charge is normally absorbed by your new supplier if their service is based on the Openreach network.

0 Kudos
D4BV2
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That makes sense, thanks Ernie_C!

0 Kudos