cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 internal network address

gingfuzz
Joining in

I have currently just had virgin out into my address and to my dismay I have found I can not change my internal ip address for the network in the superhub 3. I have always detested using default setting in any router I have bought or have used. I have my whole network manually set with ip addresses, I don't like using the range 192.168.*.* is there anyway of changing the setting to match all of my already set ip addresses across my network?

many thanks

233 REPLIES 233

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@gingfuzz wrote:

I have always detested using default setting in any router I have bought or have used.

So do you have one of them routers still? What model is it?

---------------------------------------------------------------

shanematthews
Problem sorter

@gingfuzz wrote:

I have currently just had virgin out into my address and to my dismay I have found I can not change my internal ip address for the network in the superhub 3. I have always detested using default setting in any router I have bought or have used. I have my whole network manually set with ip addresses, I don't like using the range 192.168.*.* is there anyway of changing the setting to match all of my already set ip addresses across my network?

many thanks

Out of interest "why" do you not like that IP range, its one of the reserved private IP ranges with your other choices realistically being in the 10. and 172. ranges, aslong as you're using DHCP it wont really matter what IP range you're on, so i'm curious as to why you think it will matter what range you use internally

I have always preferred using the 10 range just more simplistic and I have always hated using default settings in anything, I always tinker and find something which suits me. also replying to the previous message as well, I don't have any of those routers anymore as I replaced upon death of them. plus the parents are using the current router as I have recently moved out. so just got vm in my place and got given th SH3.. would have much preferred the SH2AC as range is crappy on SH3 😞

I have always preferred using the 10.*.*.* range and everything I have that is wired was always static ip in the 10.*.*.* range.. I have changed one of my computers that was static to the 192.168 range that came with the superhub 3 and law and behold it would not receive any internet access unless I ran it in dhcp mode. the superhub 3 gui is really naff and very very very limited in what you can do, compared to a cheap and cheerful separate router. unfortunately I am currently stuck with a superhub that I cant assign the 10.*.*.* range to. until I can get a separate router.

fwiw The DHCP Hub IP change restriction is a known issue and VM have yet to confirm in which (if any) future f/w fix it will be provided.

If it's a show stopper for you then ring Retentions and request they exchange it for a SH2AC.    However you won't have 16channel d/s capability which may require Hub 3 as a  prereq for future speed boosts  over the current  V200 Premium Tier.

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED

Thanks for the info. This is what I'll be doing. The default subnet provided by the Superhub 3 collides with the subnet of my work network, so I cannot VPN into it from home.

So I either need to change my work subnet (that'd be a NO!), daisy chain another router off the Superhub3 acting in Modem mode (annoying, but it might come to that), or get a router that allows editing of the LAN network (why did they lock it down like that!?)

Again, thanks all.

I've just joined Virgin Media and run into the same issue (being sent a Superhub 3, needing to use a VPN for work, and the local network there using the same 192.168.0.* address range).

But I've figured out that it is actually possible to change settings which the normal interface doesn't allow you to (although it is rather fiddly and complex to do), and I've just now managed use this method to change the hub's local IP address to 192.168.1.1 and the DHCP range to 192.168.1.* - and it all seems to be working perfectly fine so far 🙂
(just annoying that it's taken about 3 hours of potential work time to accomplish it, rather than a few seconds as it should have been)

So if anyone else needs to do the same, feel free to PM me and I'll try to explain in detail what exactly you need to do (and obviously it would be at your own risk)

Could you please explaing how you have achieved that? it is very anoying to spend time one this in 2016 !!! VM should have told us that there are lots of features missing in Hub 3 !!!

My whole LAN is based around 192.168.1.* mapping too. Some items such as NAS, Smart TV and networked printer are hard-coded, and some are DHCP mapped. I've just received a Superhub 3, which according to the label on the back is set to 192.168.0.1. I'm not going to connect it yet as I would prefer to set it's management address to 192.168.1.1 first, so that it will default to using the 192.168.1.* range.

As someone says they have already done this, could anyone let me know how to do it before I start setting the thing up and finding it screws up my network? Thanks.

Andre