cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 Modem Mode No Internet No WAN IP

wfsservices
Joining in
Hi All

I'm trying to use my Edimax router as I need it for the FTP and VPN in-built services. The Superhub works fine in router mode, but in modem mode I cannot establish an internet connection. When in modem mode, I noticed when I log into the superhubs GUI and go to Admin/Info, under WAN IP all the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses are all blank and uptime stays at 0:00. But on the home page of the GUI the internet status is green (online) when it clearly isn't. Iv rebooted the superhub several times and also defaulted it to factory settings to no avail. Has anyone had this issue before?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Low power transmitting Ethernet on the hub 3 it looks to be so you need better cable CAT6 thats FTP or STP (F/UTP or U/FTP) or the like.

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

18 REPLIES 18

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
what Edimax router do you have?

But in Modem Mode the device is acting like a bridge simply connecting VM Coax to your "Cat5" so doesn't work at IP level.  It shouldn't have IP address other than the internal one to get to it to monitor or admin.  Or this is my understanding of things.

Your router should have a WAN IP and LAN IP addresses as it is doing the actual routing for you.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got. Jim Elliot

I work for Virgin Media but respond here on an individual basis. No comment or assistance offered is done in any official capacity.

Thanks for your replies
It's a Edimax BR-6478AC V2
This worked perfectly fine on my old Superhub 2, I didn't need to define any WAN IP settings, the edimax router picked these up automatically using the iQ wizard. The old superhub 2 also set the WAN IPv4 addresses automatically in modem mode, but this superhub 3 doesn't. When I run iQ setup on the superhub 3, it fails with the error 'unable to detect settings from modem'. and when I try to define the WAN settings manually, it says 'WAN IP registration failed'.

You what the WAN to be DHCP.

First try getting a PC to work in modem mode without the router when it in modem mode power off for 2mins then on. When your PC gets the WAN IP copy its MAC to your router then connect in place.

Thanks Legacy1

I tried connecting a laptop by ethernet into the superhub last night whilst in modem mode, I couldn't get internet access.

I try it again now and power cycle the hub as you suggested. I will report back!

No joy with that, laptop reports unidentified network/no internet access. When checking the ethernet adapters Status from the right click drop down menu, the DHCP IPv4 is showing as 192.168.100.1 and DNS is blank. Any other ideas?

Their is a temp IP for 2 mins before the WAN IP so let the DHCP lease run out on the temp IP when connected.

Iv made a discovery!

Iv had a scrat around for spare ethernet cable, I plugged the spare cable between my superhub and laptop, internet access works! Iv copied the settings into the edimax but still doesn't work. I tried my laptop again using the cable that's run between the superhub and edimax and it doesn't seem to want to run on that cable.

The superhub is in my livingroom cupboard and my edimax is in my upstairs office. The cat5 cable run between the 2 routers is approximately 20 meters long, I put it in when we had the house rewired last year. Iv tested the cable with my cat5 cable tester, cores 1-8 all testing fine. The cable obviously works when the superhub 3 is in router mode, and my old superhub 2 used to work on it when in both modem and router mode.

Why would the cable become a problem now? This is a bit confusing!!

Any thoughts?

Low power transmitting Ethernet on the hub 3 it looks to be so you need better cable CAT6 thats FTP or STP (F/UTP or U/FTP) or the like.