cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 - Ethernet not working

dalenichol
Joining in

Hello,

A few days ago I signed up to Virginmedia for broadband and got the new superhub 3.0. 

I've had the engineer round to set it up and it's now up and running, with wireless connections being fine, however direct connection via ethernet simply isn't working and my computer does not have a wireless adapter. 

I've phoned technical support and they couldn't get anything sorted, suggesting that the problem may be computer related, but I was using a competitors hub this morning via ethernet and everything was working fine. 

Technical support then tried to put me through to gadget rescue, but each time they did this, I'd be put on hold before the line would inevitably go dead, and I'm not particularly wanting to call back again.

I'm now in a bit of a predicament, as my main computer workstation, which I use for my university work, doesn't have internet access and I'm not really looking forward to having to go out and spend money on a wireless adapter which I shouldn't need, nor want. 

I've checked 3 different ethernet cables, including the one that comes with my hub, checked all 4 ports, made sure my drivers were up to date and done various resets both soft and hard. Any advice would be greatly apprecated.

Thanks,

Dale

181 REPLIES 181

Nat_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Sorry to hear about this EntangledWave,

I've located your details and your equipment is currently displayed as offline. Was this switched off manually by any chance? If so, could you reboot this for me so that I can check the levels, etc., for you?

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

Having the same problem, had to reset the superhub to get it out of modem mode and the internet works fine on wireless but nothing will connect to it via ethernet. My desktop is now getting 2mbps through an old dongle i had lying around. How long will it take for a replacement to get sent out?

Just had an engineer visit and everything is working perfectly after he replaced the Superhub.

Scottyboi
Joining in
Hi i am having the exact same issue with the superhub 3 wifi is fine but not ethernet connection. An engineer will be coming out tomorrow but did you get this resolved?

Wafter
On our wavelength

Well, I'll join the party. Got my Superhub 3 installed last Thursday and true to form the ethernet ports don't work but the WiFi does. I had known about the potential problem with this hub but hoped I would be lucky. I had previously done a lot of reading about the issue so I set to work and tried everthing to solve the problem. Basically, the hub was not acting as a DHCP server and assigning an IP address. I desperately needed my PC to have a connection to the Internet so bought a USB ethernet dongle. This worked fine. Today I had another go at fixing the problem and lo and behold 'Network and Sharing Centre' now showed a connection through the hub to the big wide world. I confirmed that I had a valid IP address by running ipconfig/all and sure enough I had. Previously, I had had the 'something is wrong' IP address of 169.254.x.x. The problem is that the connection is very poor. Some sites I can log on to, some I can't. Some run quite quickly, some have images missing. When I activate the card and the dongle, ie, ethernet and WiFi, this is the situation. When I disconnect Wifi it stays the same. When I disconnect the ethernet and use the WiFi dongle all is fine. I tend to run a broadband speed checker every month and it averages at 95Mbps, with WiFi I am getting 6Mbps. So you can understand I am far from happy.

I also check my broadband quality and these graphs below tell their own story - if you can access them.

This is my quality graph from Wednesday the day before the hub was changed.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b4baaaf45a9c7b5f9872c2ca35fb94083f73efe3-31-01-2018

This is the graph on Thursday the day the hub was installed around 8.10 am!!!!

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/6e602beee9928a20390daf7eb9214e12d8a114b8-01-02-2018

This is the graph on Saturday when the hub must have reconnected to the Internet.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/cc257af7c6a60d508254594afa8d272ee6fc548f-03-02-2018

And this is my graph today.

There is no point in phoning technical support and trying to explain all this. I would really appreciate someone from Virgin replying and suggesting a course of action.

Regards

Alan

Heather_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey Scottyboi, 

How did it go with your tech visit?

Let us know if you still need help with this, 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Another problem that I noticed: when my LAN was somehow reset from private network to public network (by an update? still a mystery to me), the previously functioning ethernet connection between my laptop and Superhub 3 stopped working - Superhub 3 and my laptop again did not 'see' each other when connected via ethernet cable.

I first had to download and install group policy editor, as the Home edition of Windows 10 does not have it. I found info on the link https://www.itechtics.com/easily-enable-group-policy-editor-gpedit-msc-in-windows-10-home-edition/ , which worked fine - again, this installation is a longish multi-step process, so requires some time. Eventually it installed and then I just followed the instructions at e.g. https://www.itechtics.com/change-network-type-windows-10/ (option 3), or at https://www.opentechguides.com/how-to/article/windows-10/77/win10-change-network-type.html.

Switching the network type to 'private' restored the ethernet connection.

Thanks for the willingness to help, Nat_J. I managed to resolve this problem and the next one, so I guess we'll correspond again when something throws the ethernet connection off the track again.

toby64
Joining in

Is there a fix to this? This happened to me yesterday and ethernet came back on for a bit last night and this morning it's dead again.

Virgin sent an engineer to look at this within 18 hours of reporting it. He couldn't find a problem and I gave him a bit of a hard time about not testing the ethernet within the router. So he removed all ethernet cables from the router and placed just one directly between the router and my iMac and it worked fine.

After a lot of fiddling about, I think the problem was caused by one of our BT WholeHome hubs losing its connection to the router after an interruption of broadband service. After re-setting this by adding it again as a new disc, all has been fine.

So, it was a problem with my network, not the router.