cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 - Ethernet not working

dalenichol
Joining in

Hello,

A few days ago I signed up to Virginmedia for broadband and got the new superhub 3.0. 

I've had the engineer round to set it up and it's now up and running, with wireless connections being fine, however direct connection via ethernet simply isn't working and my computer does not have a wireless adapter. 

I've phoned technical support and they couldn't get anything sorted, suggesting that the problem may be computer related, but I was using a competitors hub this morning via ethernet and everything was working fine. 

Technical support then tried to put me through to gadget rescue, but each time they did this, I'd be put on hold before the line would inevitably go dead, and I'm not particularly wanting to call back again.

I'm now in a bit of a predicament, as my main computer workstation, which I use for my university work, doesn't have internet access and I'm not really looking forward to having to go out and spend money on a wireless adapter which I shouldn't need, nor want. 

I've checked 3 different ethernet cables, including the one that comes with my hub, checked all 4 ports, made sure my drivers were up to date and done various resets both soft and hard. Any advice would be greatly apprecated.

Thanks,

Dale

181 REPLIES 181

VM219674
Dialled in

With the LAN / Ethernet ports I think there are two issues at play. The first is that the DHCP server is a bit temperamental and suffers from "Not invented here syndrome", so when you come to a replacement scenario, such as moving from one VM Cable Modem to another or from one Broadband supplier to another the DHCP doesn't know what to do with pre-allocated DHCP addresses for which the lease hasn't expired (i.e. ones this new box didn't allocate).

I also don't think the DHCP service knows what to do with pre-allocated IP addresses below its current IP Allocation range (default is 192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.254), so if you have the VM Super Hub 3 allocated to 192.168.0.1 and other devices with DHCP Reserved IP addresses in the range of 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.9, I don't think the Super Hub 3 knows how to handle them.

The second issue is one of the power utilisation across the LAN / Ethernet ports, in that if you suddenly plug in more than one cable you will get a drop out which will only correct itself by unplugging each of the network cables and then reconnecting them slowly one by one.

I wrote a long article on this matter and ways to resolve it earlier today, but it seems to have been deleted or at least sent to moderation. Possibly I have hit upon a touchy subject.

Anyway, that is my view on the problem of which I have long suffered and the workaround I've come up with. Not ideal, but the only real solution is for Virgin Media to fix the problems which they seem glacially slow at doing.

Smallg said:

"It's interesting that someone mentioned a faulty LAN cable in a previous post on this thread, which appeared to be working but which was preventing the whole system from functioning. I may have a go at taking all the cables out later and putting them back in one at a time to see if this helps."

You're not hallucinating.

I've had this exact issue this morning with my brand new replacement Super Hub 3 and one of my Cat 5 LAN cables. Not sure in what sense the Super Hub 3 thinks this cable is faulty as it works with other network devices I have, but when I plug it into one of my laptops and then plug the Cat 5 LAN cable into the back of the Super Hub 3, suddenly, *BANG* all of my LAN / Ethernet ports lose connectivity and it only recovers by removing the cables and plugging them in slowly, one by one, except the cable the Super Hub 3 has determined to be "faulty".

As I said previously, the LAN ports seem to be very sensitive about power utilisation or something and if that is overloaded / draws too much power it has some kind of drop out (possibly protective and possibly useful), but since we get no feedback either way its difficult to tell.

You are getting too many problems with the SH3. Just put the wretched SH3 into modem mode and connect it to a decent wireless router.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

You are getting too many problems with the SH3. Just put the wretched SH3 into modem mode and connect it to a decent wireless router.

Somewhat irrelevant now as I have issued Virgin Media with a formal notice of termination of contract. Wasted too much time with equipment that doesn't work for the vast sums that I am paying them each month.

Moving to PlusNet...

Understand your frustration - but for the rest of us, not irrelevant...

Wishing you well on your explorations ex-VM!

dazpauling
Just joined

Hi I'm having the same issue with my SH3, it's been replaced & when i run the network diagnostic tool shows (port 4 is the only port not in use)

Wired client on port 4 is running at 100 Mbps.

Device connected on port 4 is running at a lower speed of 100 Mbps and is not utilizing the full available speed.

So your diagnostics show Port 4 is not working when it actually is via ethernet?   what have customer services advised?

says my telephone connections not working

Phone ports aren't supported on the SH3 at the moment

EntangledWave
Joining in

Hi all,

I had similar problems with my recently delivered SH3 - wireless working fine, ethernet not.

After checking that my ethernet driver was up to date (I have an HP laptop, so I checked their website; the driver was up to date), I checked the BIOS version. This is I guess because drivers can be updated automatically, whereas BIOS can't. My BIOS indeed turned out to be an old version, so I updated it with the latest version available (again, the best/only source for this is the Technical Help web page of the manufacturer of your device). This took a while and needed several restarts as well, but at the end I connected the cable and voila - the ethernet connection worked!

Sure, there may be more than just one reason for non-functioning ethernet, but checking whether your BIOS is up to date is worth a try.