cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 - Ethernet not working

dalenichol
Joining in

Hello,

A few days ago I signed up to Virginmedia for broadband and got the new superhub 3.0. 

I've had the engineer round to set it up and it's now up and running, with wireless connections being fine, however direct connection via ethernet simply isn't working and my computer does not have a wireless adapter. 

I've phoned technical support and they couldn't get anything sorted, suggesting that the problem may be computer related, but I was using a competitors hub this morning via ethernet and everything was working fine. 

Technical support then tried to put me through to gadget rescue, but each time they did this, I'd be put on hold before the line would inevitably go dead, and I'm not particularly wanting to call back again.

I'm now in a bit of a predicament, as my main computer workstation, which I use for my university work, doesn't have internet access and I'm not really looking forward to having to go out and spend money on a wireless adapter which I shouldn't need, nor want. 

I've checked 3 different ethernet cables, including the one that comes with my hub, checked all 4 ports, made sure my drivers were up to date and done various resets both soft and hard. Any advice would be greatly apprecated.

Thanks,

Dale

181 REPLIES 181

I can't seem to post the status page. Anyway Wifi is working perfectly. Ethernet nothing even with them plugged in.

Have tried reboots and reset.

b12hb
On our wavelength
The is definitely a re-occurring theme here with the SH3.0 wireless connects but the Ethernet has got issues. Same problem as other users it poor service from Virgin and they should state if this is a known issue as it's not a one off - other users are seeing same issues.

Everything was working on the Ethernet side with SH2.0 I change over to SH3.0 on Tuesday night and the Ethernet connectivity stops working.

@bjornv and @b12hb .... I would suggest reporting the fault and get a engineer to replace the SH3.... 

.... and make sure the engineer stays with you until you've checked that absolutely everything is working as it should! 

b12hb
On our wavelength

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me - I have spent several 30-45min stints on phone with VM tech support each time you call they make you do the same old rubbish all tests failed to resolve issues so asked them to re-activate my SH2.0 in the end and guess what everything is working again my ethernet network is up and running. It's the SH3.0 something not right with the Hub - i had a replacement sent and that failed as well. 

Cheers

Nicola_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello All

I am sorry you are having problems with the hub 3 and Ethernet. Sorry if I missed it but I wonder if it is a driver issue. May be worth checking that you have the latest Ethernet card drivers from the manufacture (not windows update by the way as sometimes they are not the latest). Also I wonder is it a common NIC, what card is it?

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team

b12hb
On our wavelength
Hi Nicola

It's most like not a driver issue there is definitely a problem with the SH 3.0, I have to netgear switches and direct connections to hub via Ethernet and the SH3.0 is not providing a DHCP address. I have reverted back to the SH2.0 and everything is working fine.

Thanks

Heather_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello b12hb,

Thanks for the update 🙂

Sorry to hear about this fault. It's good that you've been able to resolve this by reverting back to your previous equipment. Apologies for not being able to get your Hub up and running as it should.

Let us know if we can help with anything else.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

b12hb
On our wavelength
Getting your SH3.0 working we a good start!

jjonjoe
Tuning in

Until recently I had two desktop computers and a 16 port Netgear Switch plugged into the back of my Virgin hub.  Everything was working perfectly. Today I got upgraded to a Superhub 3, so I plugged all three components into the back: The two computers are working fine as is the wireless but, in common with everyone else, my Ethernet network is not working.

I called VM technical support and we spent an hour or so testing the system. Whilst the support lady was trying to be very helpful, her main message was that the Netgear switch was a 'third party' component, so I should take it up with them. Whilst I understand the logic of this argument, it seems a little disingenuous: most equipment is going to be third party and my expectation is that Virgin equipment should accommodate Netgear equipment (and vice versa); secondly these posts tend to suggest that this is not a unique problem with SH3 .... and finally, it was all working perfectly with the earlier Virgin equipment.

Unfortunately, the engineer took away my previous hub.  Also, I have signed a contract for 200mbps and it therefore seems that I am reliant on using the SH3.  Has Virgin suggested a solution to this 6 month problem to anyone yet?  Is there an alternative hub that anyone suggests I can rely on?        

b12hb
On our wavelength
It's a problem with the SH3.0 I use netgear switches as well and the problem was the devices connected via switch failed to get a DHCP up address.

I reverted back to the SH2.0 and purchased a Netgear VPN switch which now relays the ip addresses fine across the network.

And just use the SH 3.0 as a wireless access point and broadband router. The netgear VPN switch plugs into the SH3.0 and uses it as a default gateway.

Virgin needs to really sort this out doesn't take much for them to set this up and test this themselves and fix the issue.

Cheers