cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 - Ethernet not working

dalenichol
Joining in

Hello,

A few days ago I signed up to Virginmedia for broadband and got the new superhub 3.0. 

I've had the engineer round to set it up and it's now up and running, with wireless connections being fine, however direct connection via ethernet simply isn't working and my computer does not have a wireless adapter. 

I've phoned technical support and they couldn't get anything sorted, suggesting that the problem may be computer related, but I was using a competitors hub this morning via ethernet and everything was working fine. 

Technical support then tried to put me through to gadget rescue, but each time they did this, I'd be put on hold before the line would inevitably go dead, and I'm not particularly wanting to call back again.

I'm now in a bit of a predicament, as my main computer workstation, which I use for my university work, doesn't have internet access and I'm not really looking forward to having to go out and spend money on a wireless adapter which I shouldn't need, nor want. 

I've checked 3 different ethernet cables, including the one that comes with my hub, checked all 4 ports, made sure my drivers were up to date and done various resets both soft and hard. Any advice would be greatly apprecated.

Thanks,

Dale

181 REPLIES 181

I was feeling quite irritated until I came across this community chat .... ok, I'm still irritated but a bit more hopeful now that I know that others are in a similar situation.

How does your system work?  The VPN switch plugs into the SH3 and the Netgear switch plugs into the VPN ?  Where does the virgin cable go? How do you link in the SH2?  Forgive me, I'm new to all of this, so I'm trying to picture the network diagram in my mind!

All the best & thanks!

b12hb
On our wavelength
The netgear VPN switch has to be configured to be a DHCP server address range typically starting at 192.168.1.1 - the VPN switch would typically come with a set of ports for connecting you LAN cables into like any normal switch you could also connect your normal netgear switch into one of these ports.

You will also get a WAN port or ports depending on model. You would connect from the WAN port to your SH3.0 which the VPN switch will see as a default gateway. The SH3.0 range would be starting at 192.168.0.1 - you don't need to change any settings on it this way you can still access the wifi via the SH3.0. If you don't need the wifi then you can change the SH3.0 to work as a modem mode. (You don't need to this if you are happy to access wifi via the SH3.0).

Fairly straight forward to do - shame that Virgin can't fix the SH3.0.

b12hb
On our wavelength
Sorry forgot to mention the SH2.0 is not required in this setup with a VPN switch you can use the SH3.0.

Thanks

OK, just so I've got this right:

• The Virgin cable connects to SH3
  • My two desk tops plug into any of the ports 1 to 4 on SH3
  • Netgear VPN switch plugs (via an RJ45 cable) into any of the ports 1 to 4 of the SH3 and on the other end into the Netgear VPN via its WAN port (does this use RJ45 on this end?)
  • The Netgear VPN connects to the Netgear Switch via ethernet cables plugged into Lan ports on each of them
  • Ethernet cables networked from around the house plug into the Netgear switch 

I'm looking at the following component in amazon. Do you think it will do the trick?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-FVS318G-200EUS-ProSAFE-Firewall-tunnels/dp/B00Q9QS78G/ref=sr_1_1?s=...

I really appreciate your help in this. I've just upgraded by installing ubiquiti wifi access points in the house.  I have a teenage son, uni student son and wife who have discovered that they can't live life without the internet .... they blame me, and I'm definitely not flavour of the month!

b12hb
On our wavelength
Hi jjonjoe

Yes that will work and the VPN switch is fine.

You could plug your pc's into the VPN switch as well instead of the SH3.0

Thanks

Yes, I wondered about that. Thanks.

It's impossible to get that VPN switch within a month.  Do you think that the following will do?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-R600VPN-SafeStream-Gigabit-Broadband/dp/B006TTBYEM/ref=sr_1_1?ie...

b12hb
On our wavelength
Looks like it will - I end buying the higher spec netgear but pricey though.

Netgear switch not available until August, so I bought the TP Link (which other people, having the same problem with SH3, have done on Amazon)... having trouble configuring this router however as I cant access the login on 192.168.0.1

JJ 

b12hb
On our wavelength
Which router are you having difficulty logging into the IP address you are referring to is the SH 3.0 the log in details are on the base of the router of the SH3.0

No, its the TP Link router

JJ