cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 - Ethernet not working

dalenichol
Joining in

Hello,

A few days ago I signed up to Virginmedia for broadband and got the new superhub 3.0. 

I've had the engineer round to set it up and it's now up and running, with wireless connections being fine, however direct connection via ethernet simply isn't working and my computer does not have a wireless adapter. 

I've phoned technical support and they couldn't get anything sorted, suggesting that the problem may be computer related, but I was using a competitors hub this morning via ethernet and everything was working fine. 

Technical support then tried to put me through to gadget rescue, but each time they did this, I'd be put on hold before the line would inevitably go dead, and I'm not particularly wanting to call back again.

I'm now in a bit of a predicament, as my main computer workstation, which I use for my university work, doesn't have internet access and I'm not really looking forward to having to go out and spend money on a wireless adapter which I shouldn't need, nor want. 

I've checked 3 different ethernet cables, including the one that comes with my hub, checked all 4 ports, made sure my drivers were up to date and done various resets both soft and hard. Any advice would be greatly apprecated.

Thanks,

Dale

181 REPLIES 181

dalenichol
Joining in

Just bumping this to see if somebody can take a look. It's now been almost a week that I've been paying for a service which isn't working properly.

dalenichol
Joining in

Just me, bumping this again. 

I've now been two weeks with a hub which does not work properly. I've called customer services, to which I was transferred to 'Gadget Rescue', as Virgin insist it must be a problem with my computer (despite the ethernet cables and ports working on my computer as recently as 15 minutes before I installed the new hub) this would be fine, if it wasn't for the fact that after a few minutes on hold, on 3 separate occasions, the line for gadget rescue simply goes dead, and I'm left back at square one. 

I would really like somebody to take a look at this. My service from virgin media has always been great and I'd rather not have to escalate a complaint.

Samantha_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi dalenichol

Thanks for taking the time to post back on the community. It's nice to have you here.

Sorry to read that the Ethernet connection is not working on the Hub 3.0.

I appreciate all the checks you have completed so far but to no avail. Can you try a few things for me please to see if this will work?

1. With the Ethernet cables, have you tried a loop back test to see if any lights are lit? To do this put on side of the cable in say port 1 then the other side in port 3.

2. Have you tried another device to see if that will work?

3. Try the Hub 3.0 in modem mode to see if that will give you internet access?

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Sam, 

I appreciate you getting back to me. I've tried what you asked, but to no avail. 

1) Loop back on all ethernet ports gave me green lights on all.

2) I connected the ethernet to my PS4, no connection given

3) When put into modem mode, I couldn't connect via ethernet or wireless, instead I just got 'unidentified network - No internet access' which meant that I then had to reset the hub to factory settings to get back into router mode

Regards,

Dale

Nat_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for responding to us dalenichol,

Hope you don't mind me getting back to you, on behalf of Sam.

I've sent you a private message, so that we can chat about this some more.

You can locate my message by clicking on the envelope icon, near the top right corner of the Community page.

Speak soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

Hi,

Where did you get with this please?

I am having the same problem with the Ethernet ports.  Virgin said it was a fault with my equipment (switches) but in the end it was the hub (which seemed obvious to me at the beginning as everything worked with my old hub).  This was after spending 4hrs with virgin gadget rescue who gave me the run  around.  For example a 20min break by the technician, comes back for 20mins then informs me they are taking a 30min break.  They even went into modem mode turning off wireless and said they lost connection (after I phoned them back to say nothing seems to have happened - I thought they would have phoned me back).  I am trying to make a formal complaint against gadget rescue but that too is proving elusive.  Any advice anyone?

Virgin are coming with a new hub next Wednesday

Thanks

Nick

Rose_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello Nick,

Sorry to hear about the problems you've been experiencing with your Hub and I would like to welcome you to the community.

If you want to raise a complaint regarding Gadget Rescue I would recommend contacting them through either method here. The live chat method might be an option as they will be able to raise a case for you and hopefully provide you with a satisfactory outcome.

I'm sorry for the trouble you've experienced so far and I hope this matter can be resolved.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hello.... I seems to have the same - or a similar - problem.

New SH3 installed this week to replace a faulty SH2. WiFi is all good - fantastic speeds! However, I seem to have a problem with ethernet connection. I first discovered this when trying to set up the VM app on my iPhone to use as a remote (which I always used before with any problems). I kept getting an error message saying my TiVo wasn't on the same network - so I posted a message up on the forums - see here for background http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Using-iPhone-as-Remote-Control-for-TiV...

As mentioned on the other thread, I have now discovered that my ethernet connected DVD player is also not connecting e.g. Netflix - which again, I did without any issues on my old SH2.

Has anyone got their issue resolved that can help? Or can someone from the Forum Team help me please.

Many thanks.... 

Not sure if these photos will help diagnose the problem...

Image shows no ethernet connections (there should be 2)Image shows no ethernet connections (there should be 2)This one seems to acknowledge the 2 connections - but suggests a problem?This one seems to acknowledge the 2 connections - but suggests a problem?