Menu
RIcki89
Tuning in
Message 1 of 70
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 2 dropping wireless connection but still working wired

Since I had my Superhub 2 installed I have had daily problems with the connection. I have a Devolo power line adapter connected to my router and this always maintains connection and will always provide solid internet.

However, every day at some point I will stop being able to wirelessly connect to my Superhub 2 wifi networks (2.4 or 5 ghz) and will have to power cycle the router to regain connection. I can still connect via ethernet and my power line adapters still work (as the first one is connected via ethernet to the router) but the wifi drops.

When this problem occurs I have tried connecting wirelessly with a number of different devices but I always get a variation on the same message of 'cannot connect to network' even though it is still putting out a wireless signal.

Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated as I have a number of gadgets and things that really do rely on a steady wifi network.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 70
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 2 dropping wireless connection but still working wired

Have a look here:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=27667&CURRENT_...
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
RIcki89
Tuning in
Message 3 of 70
Flag for a moderator

Afraid this was no help.

Put simply, my wired connection is permanently fine - I always get data.

The wireless connection stops working at least once a day and can only be brought back by power-cycling the router. This is a really annoying issue.

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 70
Flag for a moderator

What did you do?

What were your results from using Inssider?
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
RIcki89
Tuning in
Message 5 of 70
Flag for a moderator

My channels are clear, even when I try different channels the problem still arises.

I have changed my wireless compatibility settings (44, 154, 300 etc) and the problem still happens daily.

I spoke to Virgin and they say they are sending out an engineer on Saturday as there is a problem with power levels (something I have seen all over these forums which feels like a bit of a cop-out really).

Endless.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 70
Flag for a moderator

Normally that would affect the connection as a whole.

Feel free to post them here for further opinions
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 70
Flag for a moderator

Hello RIcki89

Sorry that you're still having a problem.

The power levels are something that need to be within manufactures tolerances to ensure a good connection so irregardless of other problems the engineer would be necessary, although it is unlikely on a SH2 to influence wireless connectivity.

Do your devices have the latest wireless adaptor drivers? 

I wonder if a single device is mucking it up? Might be worth systematically leaving them off one by one to see if the problem stops happening?

Failing that it may be a hardware issue with the hub and we may need to try another one?

Please let us know how the engineer appointment goes and any more diagnostics you do?

Thanks so much Smiley Happy

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
philce
Joining in
Message 8 of 70
Flag for a moderator

Ive got exactly the same problem. Devices disconnect then wont reconnect. Rebooting the SH2 resolves.

I also have a HP 8600plus wifi printer that has been working fine since I got it 6 months ago with my SKY router. Once I connected the SH2 it could not maintain a connection, prints would fail and the scan folder share on my NAS would disappear.

I called and was given the power levels problem, even though I was only installed 2 days before and the connection was passed as "excellent". We also have picture quality issues with Tivo, but I think thats just the Tivo box!

TECH called and said the signal quality wasnt brilliant and as we have a 3 way splitter, coupled with being 150M from the cab, already have re-pull with RG11, now he suggests a powered amp before the splitter. Booked for Monday.

Now I have put the SH into modem mode using my TP-Link router, and it has been stable for the last 24 hrs, no dropouts or disconnects.

Looks like this is a problem with the SH???

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 70
Flag for a moderator

Not necessarily a problem with the hub.

Could of been a congested wifi channel and your TP link now connects with a different channel
0 Kudos
philce
Joining in
Message 10 of 70
Flag for a moderator

Nope, checked channels and were all separate (only 2 other visible).

TP is on same channel, I made sure to have a fair comparison.
0 Kudos