Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11 (1,078 Views)

SuperHub 3 modem only mode problems

I use an Asus Rt-N66U router and have the VM router in modem only mode. I had done this for years with the old SH1 but Ive now got issues since Friday's swap to SH3.

I rebooted my router this morning and when it booted up it failed to get an internet connection and complained about a DHCP Failure.

I tried rebooting the Router and the SH3 still the same.I phone VM for help.

Lady to me she would switch SH3 to normal router mode which she did and asked me to test the connection, it worked. At this point she said there is nothing wrong with VM kit, the problem is your kit. I could see her point but why was my kit OK with SH1 for years?

She switched SH3 back to modem only mode and I re-booted my router - still DHCP failure.

The lady then told me to hold the line while she tried something. After a few minutes she came back and asked me to re-boot my router - YES connetction OK -wow.

She said the SH3 was now half way between modem only mode and router mode, I don't understand this. The config page says it is still in modem only mode.

I'm now very nervous about any re-boot to my router.

Will whatever she did last?

Can I do whatever she did?

Can anyone understand any of this?

Advice appreciated.

Cheers, Bob.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Hero
Message 2 of 11 (2,057 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by mightyoakbob
‎20-03-2017 08:43

Re: SuperHub 3 modem only mode problems

You should of stayed with the SH1...

connect a PC to the modem mode port and make it get a WAN IP then copy the MAC of the PC to your own router and connect your router in place to modem mode.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 4 of 11 (2,043 Views)
Helpful Answer

Just to check; Did you activate it over the phone?

Also, check the firmware version with the sticky in this forum to make sure it's updated properly.

Mine was a bit glitchy when I first used it - I suspect it's because I put it in modem mode before I even connected it to the coax, and after the first few firmware updates/whatever it got confused, but after I re-configured it everything stuck and I think it's been fine since.

Actually, when you say it's not getting DHCP, do you mean the HUB3 isn't get an external-facing address via DHCP?

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 9 of 11 (2,008 Views)
Helpful Answer
‎20-03-2017 08:44

[ Edited ]

When you goto http://192.168.100.1/ and click router stats and then Network Log are there any relevant items?

You can also try turning the Hub3 off for like, 10 minutes, seeing if you can run the phone activation again, then turning it back on again.

Also see if switching it back to router mode, leaving it for 10 minutes, then turning it back to modem mode does anything.

I must admit despite my misgivings that my switch-over was surprisingly smooth; Incidentally, did you have the Hub3 off when you did the phone activation?

Also, on your router, might be worth double-checking the settings, e.g. IP over Ethernet, DHCP & NAT enabled, etc. Another thing that might help is to spoof the MAC address of the modem, but I don't think that is a thing that we still need to do...?

re. the SH1, apparently all Virgin hardware except the SH2ac and SH3 are being obsoleted after April, hence this upgrade. So yeah if you have a modem or SH1 you should be eligible for the free forced upgrade.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Hero
Message 2 of 11 (2,058 Views)
Helpful Answer

You should of stayed with the SH1...

connect a PC to the modem mode port and make it get a WAN IP then copy the MAC of the PC to your own router and connect your router in place to modem mode.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 11 (1,054 Views)

Thanks for that.suggestion.

Have you had this problem? Do you know what is happening?

As I understand it, all SH1 routers are dead after 30th April 2017.

Bob.

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 4 of 11 (2,044 Views)
Helpful Answer

Just to check; Did you activate it over the phone?

Also, check the firmware version with the sticky in this forum to make sure it's updated properly.

Mine was a bit glitchy when I first used it - I suspect it's because I put it in modem mode before I even connected it to the coax, and after the first few firmware updates/whatever it got confused, but after I re-configured it everything stuck and I think it's been fine since.

Actually, when you say it's not getting DHCP, do you mean the HUB3 isn't get an external-facing address via DHCP?

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 11 (1,038 Views)

Hi Cyker

Yes, It was an over the phone change over with no engineer.

Firmware is 9.1.116V which is the latest according to the sticky.

The process of change over to SH3 was long and painful, it didn't work for hours not the 30 minutes the blurb suggested.

The DHCP error is what my Asus router complains about. It tries to get a wan IP address from virgin via the modem mode SH3 and fails to get one, hence no Interent.

Thanks for your help.

Bob.

0 Kudos
Hero
Message 6 of 11 (1,033 Views)

[ Edited ]

mightyoakbob wrote:

As I understand it, all SH1 routers are dead after 30th April 2017.

Nope they be dead when the SH2ac goes their will be many years to goes when that happens but the super hub/hub after hub 3 will be seeing the need to upgrade all Docsis 2.0 are what will likely be dead.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 11 (1,030 Views)

Sorry mate don't wish to rude but I don't understand your post.

All I know is, VM have told me that SH1 is on a list of routers they wish to change before 30th April. I've no idea why.

Cheers,

Bob.

0 Kudos
Hero
Message 8 of 11 (1,015 Views)

mightyoakbob wrote:

Sorry mate don't wish to rude but I don't understand your post.

All I know is, VM have told me that SH1 is on a list of routers they wish to change before 30th April. I've no idea why.

You was told wrong the SH1 is DOCSIS 3.0 the modems being shut down are DOCSIS 2.0.

stuff gets told wrong sometimes as to what is really going to happen and their got to be like half a million if not more SH1 still out their. 

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 9 of 11 (2,009 Views)
Helpful Answer
‎20-03-2017 08:44

[ Edited ]

When you goto http://192.168.100.1/ and click router stats and then Network Log are there any relevant items?

You can also try turning the Hub3 off for like, 10 minutes, seeing if you can run the phone activation again, then turning it back on again.

Also see if switching it back to router mode, leaving it for 10 minutes, then turning it back to modem mode does anything.

I must admit despite my misgivings that my switch-over was surprisingly smooth; Incidentally, did you have the Hub3 off when you did the phone activation?

Also, on your router, might be worth double-checking the settings, e.g. IP over Ethernet, DHCP & NAT enabled, etc. Another thing that might help is to spoof the MAC address of the modem, but I don't think that is a thing that we still need to do...?

re. the SH1, apparently all Virgin hardware except the SH2ac and SH3 are being obsoleted after April, hence this upgrade. So yeah if you have a modem or SH1 you should be eligible for the free forced upgrade.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 10 of 11 (998 Views)

I really do not know why or even if SH1 is not suitable after April, all I know is that VM told me they were replacing SH1.

Cheers
Bob.
0 Kudos