Menu
darrell_j
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 3 ongoing problems

After 19 years as an NTL/Virgin media customer I am incredibly disappointed with my Super Hub 3.0. It was installed in May and worked fine in modem mode for some time. A great unit - great speed. It is connected to a Netgear Nighthawk R7000. It now continually drops the connection with lower light flashing green, along with the 2 green arrows. A line booster was fitted last Saturday (levels were -6db below what it should have been), which seem to cure the issue. Within 15 minutes of the engineer leaving my house, the problem re occurred. A new Hub 3.0 was fitted last Wednesday, along with a change of plug on the coax  at the line booster. Alas, the new hub is exhibiting EXACTLY the same problems since Wednesday. Both my Tivos are fine, as is my router. These units clearly have an issue when used in Modem mode, as there can be no other explanation. I use my own router as the R7000 is a far superior device. Changing the Hub 3.0 to router mode improves matters, but I should not have to do this. I am one very angry customer as I write this. The Hub 2.0, although slower, never gave me a days grief. I have read so many other issues with Hub 3.0. Please sort this out.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Super Hub 3 ongoing problems

There is a known issue with the Hub 3.0 in modem mode when connected to an Arris CMTS.  VM staff have said on these forums that a fix is being worked on but are unwilling to be anymore forthcoming about when it might be ready.  As the issue only occurs when connected to an Arris CMTS it is unclear if a hub fix is required or a CMTS fix.

Unfortunately the only work around at present is to use router mode or ask VM to reactivate your Superhub 2 if you still have it or request another one.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is a known issue with the Hub 3.0 in modem mode when connected to an Arris CMTS.  VM staff have said on these forums that a fix is being worked on but are unwilling to be anymore forthcoming about when it might be ready.  As the issue only occurs when connected to an Arris CMTS it is unclear if a hub fix is required or a CMTS fix.

Unfortunately the only work around at present is to use router mode or ask VM to reactivate your Superhub 2 if you still have it or request another one.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

OllyC
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

SCA1972 wrote:

Can confirm I've had the exact same issue since the beginning of June.

I posted this in another thread but I'll post it here to as the same applies:

Just so you don't feel you're alone, I've had the exact same issue since the beginning of June, I tried multiple Superhub 3.0's and the same thing happened, in the end I've ended up back on a non-AC Superhub 2.0, the connection has no dropouts but I swear on average the speed is a lot worse than when I was using the Superhub 3.0 in Modem mode before the update broke it.

I too cannot use the thing in Router mode because I need to have the two Xbox One consoles in my house on Open NAT's something that what ever you try the Superhub 3.0 is incapable of doing, so I have to use an old D-Link DIR-655 as my router which has worse Wi-Fi and such but at least it can manage the Xbox consoles properly. 

Anyways I had a case open for ages, they said they will contact me when they sort the known issue with Hub 3.0's in Modem mode but I've heard nothing since.

Hopefully you'll get the 2.0 AC and it will temporarily sort your issues until a new update/hub is released.

0 Kudos
Russ7
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My hub 3 has been dropping internet on a wired connection (every few minutes) ever since it was installed last week, (wireless stays connected but is so slow) the only thing that has changed is the hub from hub 2 to hub 3. The hub 2 worked great, the only conclusion I can draw from this is a compatability issue. So 1st thing Monday I will be phoning the tech guys and reverting back to my hub 2.

0 Kudos
Colin257182
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi all, I'm also having the exact some issues with the superhub 3.0 and I was even thinking of buying a new superhub thinking it might solve the problem but darrell said it didn't fix the problem but I didn't have this problem from the very beginning last year April 2016 when I had virgin fibre optic installed for the  first time as a new customer, the problem began with the line dropping around Dec 2016 I contacted tech support but they have no fix for this problem at the moment and I have to use an ethernet cable with my laptop because I just can't get a full connection with my internal network adpater but all my other wireless devices can connect to the router without any hassle, my laptop is only 3 years old from brand new and I had no problems connecting with my old talk talk wifi router. So all I can do is wait for Virgin to install a firmware update to fix the problem.

0 Kudos
AlexEmmins
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, I keep getting issues with the Hub 3 dropping users off wifi.

0 Kudos
Hopetohelp
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wanted to post to share my experience for others who may be able to consider user experience and make informed decisions.

Was a Virgin customer for over 10 years had constant price rises and had to threaten to leave a number of times for those to be address.

When a moved to a new 6 month rented house the hub was totally useless. Dropped off phones and devices every few minutes and never resolved. Found engineers generally unhelpful and phone service centre a joke.

Moved house again to an area with no Virgin and had to leave, Virgin charged me £162. Good news is that I'm now with BT and Sky who are both far superior in my experience. Was worried that BT speed would be lower because they advertise lower speeds, but Virgin speeds were never anywhere near those advertised

BT hub has never dropped off, call centres are helpful and sky engineer was outstanding.
0 Kudos