Menu
audetto74
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 3 configuration and device names

I've recently received the new Super Hub 3 and I have to admit the configuration interface via http really needs improvements.

I can see some good changes from the Hub 2, but the speed is awful, a page with a list of devices (Connected, dhcp, static rules) takes about 40 seconds to load.

Moreover, the idea of assigning names to devices is a god one but, the implementation is poor

1) in the home page, devices move between wifi and cable. So now I have wifi devices listed (duplicated) under ethernet and unknown devices in the wireless

2) assigning names is tedious as there is not a single page with all the info required to identify a device (name, either IP or MAC). So one has to move between the home and connected devices, which takes forever.

3) in the Static DHCP list, the useful names are not listed

4) because of 1) I would like to reset the name (to the default id) so see what there is behind, but it is not possible

I have read reports (> 1Y old) about this and I am really not impressed it has not been fixed yet.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/HUB-3-Connected-Device-Names-muddled/td-p...

My firmware version is 9.1.116V

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 3 configuration and device names

Hey there audetto74,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

I appreciate that you've taken the time to review your experience with your Hub 3. I know there is some inconvenient point with the current firmware. I will get your points fed back.

Thanks again for your post,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
audetto74
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Let's see what happens.

Ideally Virgin Media should realise that this is just a router and they should

1) either put the code on github so people can help identifying and fixing problems about the features they care about (as opposed to a team in a low paid country where developers just have to implement a spec, maybe without even running it)

2) use a better router software like OpenWRT. There is no special IP in the router code, so just use something well maintained

But this requires an open mind most companies don't have.

Regards

0 Kudos
Trulydredd
Just joined
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi just got your hub 3 read this post and the problem still exists

0 Kudos
simonrevs1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, just an update for those that are keeping an eye on this one.

Just tried to rename mine and now most of mine have reset themselves all to read Xbox One.

This is really not helpful because now I have no idea which is which.

Brilliant solution VM

VM219674
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've just received another Super Hub 3, which should be hot off the production line (difficult to tell if it's refurbished or not, but there are no scratches or anything, so I presume it is "new").

Unfortunately the idiocy about naming devices is still there and still doesn't work properly. I clicked on the nonsense code that it detected for my Smart TV (A PANASONIC Viera TV CS520B which identified itself to my Super Hub 3 as the not very user friendly "COM-MID1"), I used the Super Hub 3 web menu "Hub 3.0 status overview" and clicked on the icon shown under "Ethernet Connected device" for "COM-MID1" and changed its name to "Smart TV".

I then logged out and logged back in again (I read somewhere that this was necessary) and found that it had renamed my Laptop, with a completely different MAC address, IP address and a perfectly valid name to "Smart TV". Fortunately I was able to work this out from the DHCP Leases list, since the IP Address and MAC address of my laptop were now associated with the name "Smart TV".

I was able to revert my change, but I've not found any way of naming the devices in such a way that the correct device name gets applied to the right device. For some reason Android devices seem particularly evasive to being named.

This looks like moronic software development to me. Can't see how this passed testing.

0 Kudos