Menu
HighOnFire
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Starting to think this was a bad mistake signing up

Hi there

on the 21st february I was sent a quick start kit to install my broadband which I could not connect to, not because of something in my house but outside on the street away from my house.

I then had an engineer come out on the 27th february to check everything to which he said that the problem is indeed outside and its a cable in my street that is the fault.

I then had to call up Virgin and explain that I have no service what so ever and I have not been able to use it once. They then told me that an engineer to sort this problem out wont be available until the 7th of April. So that's from the 21st Feb and the whole month of March now.

So what got up my nose today is I checked my bank statement online only to realise that I have been charged for a service that I can't even use, have not been able to use, and still haven't used it.

How does Virgin justify charging someone money for something they haven't even been able to use since the very first day the quick start package arrived, a fault which was not mine but Virgins.

Now I really hope that when April the 7th comes, that I will have my broadband sorted out as this is not acceptable charging me money for something I can't use and haven't had the pleasure of using at all.

I know that there is an activation fee and that is £14.99 but i've been charged on top of that for part of the service, a service I have not even used nor have I been able to use it.

This hasnt been a good experience at all for me and i'm not too happy about it at all.

I need to know that when the 7th of April comes will I have my broadband sorted out ?

because if it isn't sorted out then it has been a complete waste of time and being charged money for something I can't even use seems like robbery to me, i'd also need to know that if they can't sort this broadband out will my money be refunded to me ? since none of this was my problem at all.

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Starting to think this was a bad mistake signing up

I suspect the bill will have been triggered by an automated computer process. I would ring the accountsteam and ask them to correct the start date for your contract to the revised installation date. You would have hoped that the person that you spoke to about the cable problem would have done this, but from what I have experienced, each team works within very narrow boundaries and it is left to the customer to consider the wider picture.
0 Kudos
HighOnFire
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply mate. What a nightmare this is then.

I expected much better than this from Virgin.

An engineer is due Friday now. If it doesn't get sorted out then a cancellation of services is in order.

I mean they can't expect me to be charged money for something I can't even use, just wrong.

0 Kudos
aytrixtech
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

sorry to hear the service you have been having.  If you Contact Virginmedia Accounts they should reset the contract fopr you to the install date and anything you have paid should be credited back to your account.

I Work for Virgin Media - All Opinions are my own
0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just ensure you make your decision within the 14 day cooling off period, or you will be stuck for the full contract period.
0 Kudos
HighOnFire
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good news. The connection is up and running. It turns out it was a one man job and not two!

This could have been sorted out for me a lot sooner rather than waiting a whole month including days from Feb 21st

the whole of March right up until now April the 7th. I'm still in wonder why it would take so long and this guy comes along

and sorts the whole thing out in a matter of minutes! lol madness.

The guy who arrived here and sorted it out did it very fast and I laughed because the previous engineer

had said it will take two men to sort it out but this one engineer who come to my house wrapped it up in no time.

Good job!

Heres to hoping the service will be top notch now that I have it all set up properly as I dont need any bloody stress Smiley Tongue

I realise that it can take up to a day for it all to kick in with the speed, 24 hours at the most

so hopefully after that period the connection will be up to scratch.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

HighOnFire wrote:

..................I realise that it can take up to a day for it all to kick in with the speed, 24 hours at the most

so hopefully after that period the connection will be up to scratch.

There is no settling in period. If there are no issues with the connection you should get full speeds straight away.

Dave. 

HighOnFire
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That's good to know then Dave, i'm not sure why I had it in my head it takes 24 hours

maybe I was thinking of how long it used to take me to download stuff on sky ;_;

as whilst away from this forum I did a speed test check

and the connection speed is the right speed for what I got

Download 56.0 Mbps, 9ms ping, upload 3.24 Mbps

so its working fine already now.

0 Kudos
chippycc
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Was that speed recorded using a wired network or wireless? If it was wired, then try a new speed test using wireless, I think you'll be very interested in the results!

Graham

0 Kudos
HighOnFire
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

wireless is cancer, every one knows it, happy to use ethernet here.

I actually did a test for wireless and it come out as 38.85 Mbps

Thats quite reasonable for wireless devices, I dont expect magic from Virgin

even branson aint capable of that Smiley Happy

If however I was on one of the bigger packages, i'd expect more.

But i'm on a simple 50 mb

So what are the reasons for asking about the wirless tests ?

I expect many want better right ? and so they should

for a hub 3.0 this should be giving wireless around the same as an ethernet cable right ?

but its not. For the prices paid, the equiptment however new it is still isnt up to quality standards when it comes to wireless.

0 Kudos