Menu
perkunas
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Something blocking downloads

Ok here we go, this might be a long post.

So around 4 days ago a online game i play updated their client, after the update I was unable to connect, so thinking it was an issue with the client I uninstalled and reinstalled same problem, now thinking it could be a java problem as the launcher is based off the java platform I thought I'll download the latest version of java, here is where the really problems began, the download failed with the message Failed-Network Error while using chrome, it also failed while using IE Firefox and Microsoft edge, so after around a full day of trying all solutions that i could find still no luck, so I eventually figured something on my PC must be blocking the download, I proceeded the do a fresh clean install of windows 10, here is where to problems continue, i tried to download the media creation tool from the microsoft website on my laptop, the download failed, i spent about 45 minute talking to microsoft support and eventually got a copy of the ISO so i could reinstall using USB, now after the reinstall, just about everything i try to download fails, intel display drivers failed, realtek audio drivers cant even reach the webpage, java failed, and many other things, so i contacted microsoft support again and spent 3 hours with a tech who took remote access of my system to check everything, here is the strange part, my system is perfectly fine, and if i use a proxy program(ultrasurf) everything downloads fine, so I downloaded the Blizzard launcher, and tried to install it as soon as the launcher tries to connect to the internet to update it fails, so there is obviously something blocking certain connection on my broadband, i spent 2 seperate 45 minute log conversation yesterday on the phone to broadband the first time said there was no problems and passed me through the gadget recovery i think who said i didnt need to speak to them and was passed back to broadband who evetually said there was a problem and it would show on the servive status page on the virgin website so i checked and it had been put down as the cant access facebook fault which it was not becasue i have no problem at all with accessing websites so after that had cleared i phoned back this time to be told after 45 mins there was a unspecified problem he couldnt say what and phone back today if it is stil ongoing cant help but feel he was saying anything to get me off the phone at this point.  S unsurprisingly today the problem is stil there hopefully i might get further on here than everything else i have tried, I will be phoning back this afternoon but I can be pretty sure they'll run the same old test say there is nothing wrong then after about 45 mins a problem with miraculously appear which i will have to wait another day or so to see if its resolved.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Something blocking downloads

Hey perkunas,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about your connection issues, it sounds tricky. I've tried to test your Hub, but it's currently offline, do you turn it off in the day? If not, we might have a problem on our hands. If you do turn it off in the day, please leave it on for a few days so we can test it.

Catch you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
perkunas
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

My hub is on 24/7 unless i have to restart it because I've lost Wi-Fi to my laptop and tablet, this issue I'm having is on my desktop(ethernet) and Laptop(Wi-Fi).  I have spoke to someone else on the phone who has told me that maybe i have been given a blacklisted IP address and that is causing the issue, which I really don;t think is the case because the downloads are failing during the downloading process some are getting to 95% plus completed then just stopping, if I had a blacklisted IP surely i wouldn't be able to connect to the download server at all not just in the last 5% or so or the download.  This is currently happening, with not just browser based downloads such as i cannot download the latest version of java, or the media creation tool from microsoft, but also with things like the Blizzard launcher it fails at getting updates, Origin Launcher from EA fails when downloading updates, Wargaming's world of tank and world of warships fail during installation when getting the updates, this is on both Laptop and Desktop so it has to be something to do with the hub or something getting blocked by ISP settings, I have tried in safe mode with networking, with all anti-virus and firewalls turned off so it is not an issue at my end.

0 Kudos
perkunas
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

My hub is on 24/7 unless i have to restart it because I've lost Wi-Fi to my laptop and tablet, this issue I'm having is on my desktop(ethernet) and Laptop(Wi-Fi).  I have spoke to someone else on the phone who has told me that maybe i have been given a blacklisted IP address and that is causing the issue, which I really don;t think is the case because the downloads are failing during the downloading process some are getting to 95% plus completed then just stopping, if I had a blacklisted IP surely i wouldn't be able to connect to the download server at all not just in the last 5% or so or the download.  This is currently happening, with not just browser based downloads such as i cannot download the latest version of java, or the media creation tool from microsoft, but also with things like the Blizzard launcher it fails at getting updates, Origin Launcher from EA fails when downloading updates, Wargaming's world of tank and world of warships fail during installation when getting the updates, this is on both Laptop and Desktop so it has to be something to do with the hub or something getting blocked by ISP settings, I have tried in safe mode with networking, with all anti-virus and firewalls turned off so it is not an issue at my end.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello perkunas

Thanks for getting back, I wonder what is going on... From your description I did wonder about an SNR issue however that is looking good, hub parameters and area data history all good. Just been pinging the connection for the last 5 mins and no problems.

Is it still happening, if so it may be worth trying Modem mode on your Virgin Media Hub and let us know how that goes please.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos