Menu
Bek
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Slow fault response

Internet stopped tonight. First available engineer visit six days away (and to think that I used to think that Comcast were bad in Florida - how I miss their same day response) Six days is beyond a joke.
Might it be worth going out and getting a new router? I have a super hub 2ac but don't want or need the wifi features? Any hardware recommendations?
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow fault response

With Virgin Media you must use the router they have provided - That is how the service works.  It is activated based on the particular device (by serial number or MAC address I believe).  You can change this to bridge mode and use another device connected to it.

It all depends on what type of fault you are experiencing ?

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
Bek
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

All I know about s that I have no internet and that the remote support could not help so I am stuck without internet until next week, if they turn up then. Of course there is no guarantees that the engineer will come or that if he does the problem will be fixed that day. Virgin are strangely unwilling to give any booking confirmation for the supposed visit
Pretty unhappy,
0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Did you speak to the team in the UK or their overseas call centre ?

The UK call centre is usually really good with this type of thing.  Maybe worth giving them a call back in the morning and express your dissatisfaction.  If you want to be sure you get through to them select the option that you are thinking of leaving.  This gets you through to the loyalty team who are trained to do what they can to keep you as a customer - I'm sure you will have better luck with them.

Please reply back and let us know how you get on.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
Bek
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow fault response. Where to next

Thank you for that suggestion.

I spoke to the daytime team who tried to be helpful, admitted that a six day response time (not even a six day fix) was "not very good" and also expressed surprise at the unhelpful unwillingness of the night-time team to provide any booking reference for the visit which had been booked.  They confirmed that there is no point in me trying to get a replacement modem in the meantime.

so, as I now rack up EE data add-on fees in order to use my phone for internet work, I know that I have to look elsewhere for a service provider.  Virgin clearly do not value my custom sufficiently highly to invest in a service infrastructure, so I owe it to myself and the free- market to move.

I do not expect un-biased views on a Virgin sponsored site, but do any other users have comments on other providers?  Is it Sky next?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

All other providers use BT Openreach's  infrastructure. So by using a 3rd party (SKY for example) you are adding layers of complication to any support request. Sky recently cut their maintenance contract with Openreach to the bone. So response times have gone up.

So best advice is go to BT themselves.

HOWEVER

BT's response times aren't great either. If you HAVE to have internet, get a business level contract with SLA's , or run a Openreach infrastructure  provider alongside VM on a residential contract

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sky's deal with Openreach was cut to a two-day response time instead of one, but for a residential service that's not bad. Technically Openreach should never favour BT connections, and with this morning's announcement that BT will legally separate Openreach they've made a commitment to treat all providers equally.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

cje85 wrote:

Sky's deal with Openreach was cut to a two-day response time instead of one, but for a residential service that's not bad. Technically Openreach should never favour BT connections, and with this morning's announcement that BT will legally separate Openreach they've made a commitment to treat all providers equally.

It was cut to two day with a lower SLA and lower penalties for failure- think "larger excess on your insurance". IRL that equates to up to weeks wait, ask the SKY support staff. Therese also an endemic culture of just telling the customer its all BT's fault and nowt they can do instead of spending time chasing it.

For the record, the remarks are in the context of the question OP asked, what is the route to better service. BT faults are fixed quicker than SKY faults, fact. VM compare unfavorably to both ATM, a weeks wait for an engineer is commonplace

0 Kudos
Bek
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Update: no internet!

Engineer arrived, late - only 50minutes out of the time slot, which in a six day response time is not too bad, but as I was due to leave for a hospital appointment it was a bit stressful. The engineer, Winston, was superb. I wish he worked in my business, and he assured me that he could fix the problem, quickly identified, outside at the connection point. I later heard that we had working internet at the house so he was as good as his word.
Sadly by midnight it had stopped working
It is still not working.
There is a local problem, I am told, which is not specific to our house.
It might be just a bad coincidence, but it is coincidence of two faults, which is two too many

Finally, I hope that the team responsible for the automated response system on the 0345 4641111 number are made to pay for their incompetence by being locked and forced to listen to an endless loop of their own infuriating menu system. Please note, it is the senior management responsible for the system that I am criticising. I can only have sympathy for the people at the customer-facing side of Virgin Media.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Bek,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

My apologies that you are having an issue with your broadband connection after an engineer visit.

I would like to check your connection in more detail, however I was unable to locate your account. If you can send me a Private Message confirming your address, I can look further into this for you.

Look forward to hearing from you 

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos