Menu
TomAldy
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sky Broadband Connection and Virgin Broadband Connection under one roof?

Hi guys,

Just wanted to sign up to ask this question. I live with my parents and one sibling and they suck up the internet connection with watching YouTube, streaming music and things like Netflix, Prime and more.

Is it possible for me to have Virgin Broadband whilst they have Sky Broadband under one roof? It's getting extremely annoying, especially considering I work from home a lot and due to this need a stable connection as much as possible.

Really appreciate any help you guys can give!
Thanks in advance.

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Broadband Connection & Virgin Broadband Connection under one roof?

Yes, Virgin Media use a completely separate network from everyone else so you can have their broadband and anyone else's in the same home. Also you can have broadband without a landline.

TomAldy
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Fantastic thanks for your help. Just a secondary question to lead off from my original one; seeing as I've never had Virgin Media Broadband setup in my house before, even by previous residents, what would the engineer need to fit to get us hooked up with the connection to support Virgin Media Broadband? I'd need the router connected in my bedroom (there's a working phone line and it's at the edge of the house so a wire can go directly outside if needs be?)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

as said VM user a different system - the phone line you have is basically BT and is of no use for a VM connection

first thing to check is that your street area is cabled for VM - google their post code checker - assuming thats ok then there will be an access point somewhere near the front wall of the property - that is the entry point for the underground cable to be connected to VM street cabinet - that cable will come from that point across the front garden to the front of the house to a termination box - once thats installed the internal wiring can happen - that can be partial external to a second floor - through the wall to the internal box and then to the cable modem - all that can take a while depending on a few things 

so very different to BT 

Tony
0 Kudos