Menu
SirThomas
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Signal Levels - Cable Change...

Ciao!

Been doing some decorating around the house and the need to replace coax arose (the lady of the house decided to place a step ladder on top of the existing run and then stand on it.) Smiley Mad

Everything's looking good (to me) but I've attached some before and after shots for people's approval - In theory it should have made a significant difference, as the Nynex cable from ~20 years ago was frankly, **bleep**e!

Replaced with new all-copper WF100, compression fittings and I even cleared the spider's nest from the outdoor box!

One would assume that the extra dB on the RX side would be a good thing - But thought I'd double check...

Cheers,
Tom

comparison.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Signal Levels - Cable Change...

You obviously have some grasp of things so Ill not lecture you on buying cables for your VM set up yourself- your levels look fine.

My main concern if I was doing similair would be noise ingress- so keep an eye to SNR, (its already not great, but within spec by enough) to make sure it doesnt drop, and make sure you don't start to see POST RS errors rising. If either occurs you'll need to revisit the cable. If not, you should be fine...

Chuck up your network logs if you fancy, or just run your eye over them- repeated T3's in the log are a bad sign as are most T4's

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I can explain the change in signal levels for you. And it's not your shiny new cable.

On the downstream, when you reconnected, you were connected to lower frequencies. There is lower signal attenuation on lower frequencies - so you see higher power levels.

On the upstream, the second channel is on a lower frequency than before and so needs less power to push through to the next active node.

Simples.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
SirThomas
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote: repeated T3's in the log are a bad sign as are most T4's

I've always seen a lot of T3's, but it's always been shrugged off when mentioned to VM. Never seem to get a massive amount of issues, but I'm sure it doesnt help... But as long as everything's 'within spec' I guess that there's nothing warranting further investigation?

I completely overlooked that Seph - Most interesting Smiley Happy

Thanks chaps,
Tom

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

SirThomas wrote:

Kippies wrote: repeated T3's in the log are a bad sign as are most T4's

I've always seen a lot of T3's, but it's always been shrugged off when mentioned to VM. Never seem to get a massive amount of issues, but I'm sure it doesnt help... But as long as everything's 'within spec' I guess that there's nothing warranting further investigation?

Everything else being equal, T3's  do crop up in normal use-   Its lots in a small space of time, with no explanation  I would be looking for.   For example, you'll see them when your HUB renews its lease, they are just part of normal operation

I completely overlooked that Seph - Most interesting Smiley Happy

So did I Smiley Happy  

Thanks chaps,
Tom

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Defrocked - yes, but sharp as ever!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi SirThomas, 

Thanks for posting! I am sorry to hear that you've noticed a lot of T3's in your logs, I apologise for any bother.

I have tested the connection from here and I noticed a lot of T3's inside the Hubs logs, I would like to arrange for this to be investigated further by one of our engineers in order to get things resolved for you.

I will send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll get this all booked and secured for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos