Menu
Lorcan-IRL
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Self install but have Openreach master socket?

Signed up for the full house limited edition bundle a couple of weeks ago. Mainly for the gaming broadband, so I used the address checker to see if I could self-install as I should be able to do that bit fairly straightforwardly. 

However, since the day before the installation box arrived with all the bits I had an engineer snooping out the front of the house. I didn't know he was from virgin so I went out to see who it was. He said he was there to connect it at the box but he said he would double check we had the relevant socket but we don't so he would book an engineer to come and run the virgin cable to our house.

So I've received the box yesterday and I can confirm it is an openreach master socket, but now virgin has text to say they have tested the house and we are ready to "plug in". Is this automation gone wrong or are they saying I can use it through the openreach one until they install theirs? I don't want the same speed I am trying to move away from now.

TL;DR Openreach master socket can it be used for virgin? Won't that be at the same speed as other providers ie not the speed I ordered? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Self install but have Openreach master socket?

Ignore the BT phone socket. VM have their own network and it doesn't use DSL like BT's does.

Look in your property for a box on the wall that says NTL / Telewest / VM. It's wallet sized looking, but a bit a longer. With connection a point either on the top or bottom of it.

You should also have your own VM master socket in the property.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Lorcan-IRL
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response. I now imagine that when the house was renivated prior to us moving in it may have been removed as the openreach socket is the only one in the house. I can't verify that but if it came up for a self-install but there is no NTL / Telewest / VM socket unfortunately.

I guess the text can be put down to automation error. I still might phone them to make absolute clear. They definetly said there would be someone out the 10th and the 11th not sure why both days but if that's what it takes at least it's in hand. 

Just would have liked it to be clearer with it.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Definitely give VM a call about it, if the previous owner did remove them then you couldn't go ahead with a QuickStart. It would need to be changed to a manned install.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.