Menu
het69
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

SH3 modem-mode dropouts...

VM,

Is this getting sorted?  I'm getting repeated disconnects every day.  It settled down for a couple of weeks but for the last week or so it's back to how it was since I had the service installed a couple of months ago.  I've tried resetting the modem, etc, and I don't want the modem in router mode.

I was told by a TS rep that there was a firmware update being released to me by 20th May which would fix the issue, but obviously it hasn't.

I'm getting so annoyed with this now.  I work from home and can't afford for constant disconnects.  It's getting to the point that I'm having to tether my laptop to my mobile to use a stable service.

My BT connection was NEVER an issue.  The only problem I had with that service was the lack of speed achievable on my line, but it was ALWAYS solid as a rock.  If this continues I will be cancelling my VM service and going back to BT.  I'd rather live with a slower service than an unstable one.

Low and behold, it's just gone off again while I was writing this.  That's easily the 10th time today, and it's only 12:30pm.

het69
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: SH3 modem-mode dropouts...

0 Kudos
StopItRawr
Rising star
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

It certainly seems to be an issue with a very specific set of circumstances. In this case, a SH3, Modem mode and an Arris CMTS.

Between that and something else, it appears to be causing these drops. As the drops do not occur using router mode, this has to be some sort of issue between the two.

It requires testing and identifying so it can be fixed. Now if only there was a group of users who this could be tested upon. Even better a group where there are some who are actually affected by this and some who aren't. This means that whichever errors are causing this periodic disconnect can be isolated and fixed. Oh, wait.

VM are really really not helping with their "black box" approach to this SH3. There is 100% an issue with Firmware version T, Modem mode and the Arris CMTS. What isn't clear is what VM are doing about it. I fear this is like the SH2 issue that also affected modem mode (This time it was a DHCP flag gone awry). That time it took months to even get VM to admit there was even a problem! I really hoped VM learned from that episode.

I wish I could say there is an easy fix. Well, Router mode is, if you want to then enable Bridge mode on your router to avoid Double NAT. Still, a fudge should not be seen as an excuse for VM to get this bug squished.

het69
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Cheers, I agree with you.  There's something not right with the modem.  It has to be a firmware issue on the SH3 given that router mode is stable (and so should rule out the CMTS being the issue).

I had an engineer out earlier today (well yesterday, but I'm still up) who swapped the SH3 out and it's been fine since.  I'm not wanting to tempt fate though and I know that reboots have temporarily fixed the issue for people, only for it to come back again after a few days/weeks.

Unfortunately I can't use router mode as I have to do some stuff that doesn't play nice with NAT and I don't want to have to push traffic through tunnels, etc.

VM should get this sorted.  I understand the politics and that maybe they can't openly admit that there's such a big problem, but it's an obvious problem with a lot of chatter in the forums.  As long as a SH2ac can deliver 200Mbps I'd be happy to swap the SH3 for that, given that I don't need any of the router/wifi features in the box.  Anything to give me a reliable service would be better than my connection dying every 34 minutes.

0 Kudos
jleejlee
Joining in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

I've been getting dropouts for about 3 weeks now. I phoned VM last week and after doing a few tests they decided to send an engineer out. 

Engineer came with a new box. He took the old one off, put the new one on and left.

Problem still there. I have checked all network wires, router.. everything on my side. 

I will be trying a couple of things before phoning VM again. 

Like you, I was with BT for years. I only left because of speeds issues too. I will go back to them if this doesn't get sorted soon. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hello het69 and jleejlee

We are sorry you are having dropouts with the hub 3 in modem only mode. As StopItRawr kindly mentioned it seems to be an issue with our Arris chassis and the hub3. We are investigating and I have passed your details on to our firmware team, as soon as we have any news we will let you know via the forum.

Thank you for your patience

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
NoResyncsPlease
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hello:

I have this problem also. I timed my second phone call to VM tech support at a time when I predicted my connection (from Virgin's end to my modem, SH3 in modem mode) would drop. Sure enough it dropped and I asked him to check my connection during that time -- he verified I had a problem. An "engineer" was called out to swap the superhub out. The engineer visit was 14th of June after my call on the 10th which was a day I had 22 reconnect/soft-reboot incidents that day between 10:45am and 23:21.

Each of those outages had me down for about 90 seconds.

Today is the 1st of July and it is the first time this has recurred since the superhub was swapped out. Again it is happening every 36 minutes or so.

I wonder if the superhub is trying to update its software/firmware and is rebooting (note, the uptime of the modem was not affected by these reboots so they are not true full reboots of the superhub's OS) but failing, trys again a short time later.

It will eventually 'fix itself' after one of these horrible days and work again perfectly for some number of days.

Here's my snapshot graph from today:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/2eb423bb11bf0fed5e4ae38ef678cc76-01-07-2016.html

and live graph:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/561881df2cfe449cfafcb5fe54b63979.html

I really need this to be fixed.

2:08pm had an auto reconnect / 2:11pm I decided to power cycle the modem to see if that changes anything / --stand by--

0 Kudos
NoResyncsPlease
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

... the 2:11 manual power cycle of the superhub stopped the repeating soft-reboot cycle, it has been up solid for over 2.5 hours now. I'll post again when the problem recurs.

0 Kudos
het69
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Cheers, thanks, Nicola!

0 Kudos
het69
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Mine was doing it every 34 minutes. A reboot would sort it for a while (days maybe) then it would start again. So far my new modem hasn't done it, but I'm expecting it to.

Let's see what happens with VM's investigation with the CMTS/modem and wait for their reply.
0 Kudos